by Potseal
Yesterday at 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
Earthquake in New Zeeland
by RODALCO
11/27/16 11:25 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by Tjia1981
11/27/16 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 15
HotLine1 10
Trumpy 8
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Who's Online
0 registered (), 192 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#59637 - 12/11/05 07:32 AM Flickering lights....
Attic Rat Offline

Loc: Bergen Co.,N.J. USA
... Hi gang,..
Got a call this week to troubleshoot a house where the old lady says the lights flicker,..but only in one area of the house, and one of the lights she said went "super-nova" for a few seconds. I was thinking, bad neutral connection on an Edison/multi-wire circuit..I went into the CB panel, and found a neutral wire loose at the neutral bar, tightened it, and searched for others..Found nothing else obvious...

The lady called yesterday, and said the flickering continues,..but to a lesser extent...also she has one receptacle that has blown out (3) telephone power supplies (you know,the plug in xfrmer,..we also call a "wall-wart")in succession...I checked voltage and it's fine,..and when I go there, there's NO flickering... coincidence or ghosts?? HELP!!!
Russ

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#59638 - 12/11/05 07:50 AM Re: Flickering lights....
hbiss Offline

Loc: Hawthorne, NY USA
You are on the right track. If it looks like the problem is confined to two circuits see if they are on the same multiwire branch circuit then take everything apart and check the neutral connections.

Also don't discount a neutral problem with the service.

-Hal

#59639 - 12/11/05 08:29 AM Re: Flickering lights....
BigB Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ USA
Russ,
Instead of tightening the loose neutral you might want to remove it, cut a fresh end and re land it in an unused hole. If it had been arcing the connection could be compromised. Of course you know enough to shut down the edison ckt first.

#59640 - 12/11/05 08:45 AM Re: Flickering lights....
Attic Rat Offline

Loc: Bergen Co.,N.J. USA
... Thanx, guys...
Yeah, Hal, I'm gonna go back there on Monday, and sort it out once and for all...

BigB,.. I hear ya,..the problem is that some hack stuffed 2 neutrals under one terminal,I'm gonna have to make some room by doubling up on the bare ground wires..and freeing up a space..

This place is the pits..electrically.. They have some outdated, obsolete relay switching system installed (all home made by the previous sparky)and she wants it all ripped out and run to normal switches..ALL TO BE DONE BEFORE THE HOLIDAYS!! Bah Humbug!!
Russ

#59641 - 12/11/05 11:54 AM Re: Flickering lights....
Lostazhell Offline

Loc: Bakersfield, CA (Originally Or...
"Outdated, obsolete relay switching system....."

This smells familiar.. check your neutral connections in the relay cabinets. I've seen before where someone's stuffed all the neutrals in a splitbolt going off to all the different lights.. Most of the time I come across "Touchplate" it's someone wanting to get rid of it..

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals