ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
If you folks do cable televison installations, how do you check if the connection was made correctly? I wish I didn't have to do cable/ telephone installs but because of the money I know why my company does them. We have to carry around a customers television when necessary to test the signal. Is there a special tool that can do this? And if so, what do you use?

--Ron

L
LK Offline
We use the Leader TV Signal Level Meter Mod#LF 941 it's about the lowest priced one out there to do the job right, I think we paid $790.00 for it and we pay $160 a year for calbration, Input 75 ohm 110db uv max, 50dbmv max.

M
Assuming you have an incoming signal already on line from the cable company -small portable color tv set(mine is from Sam's Club $145.00. ).

L
LK Offline
I thought he was asking for the proper equipment to use, the cable connection is used for more then TV reception, the TV may work fine, then when other services are connected, it fails, what we usually find is the shield is not making good contact, or the cable has kinks in it, the TV will still give a good picture, but other services may not work.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 11-13-2005).]

S
LK, I did a search for the product you listed. Is this what you have: http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/leader/lf941d.htm ? It just seems what with all cable tv wires are used for these days (internet, tv, phone lines, etc), that a tool for measuring cable signals would be something good to have. I didn't realize it was so expensive though.

Ron,
This sort of test equipment has never been cheap.
It does pay to have the proper gear though.

L
LK Offline
Ya, just one of many pieces of test equipment, There are less expensive testers, that may work well, your main concern will be clean signal, and band width, now you know why some of the electronic techs charge up to $190 an hour, they have the expensive tools, if you are doing a lot of communications wiring it may just pay, otherwise, use the TV and hope for the best, i would say 90% of the installations are not tested, they use the install and hope system, hope it works.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 11-13-2005).]

H
Well I know I talked about this subject before here someplace- damned if I can find it.

Short answer is if you call it a "tester" and expect it to work like a Wiggy there ain't no such thing.

What you need is a signal level meter. It does take some interpretation as well as knowledge of CATV to be able to use it. They don't come cheap and unless you are willing to learn a new trade and have someone to teach you I recommend that you not waste your money.

In my opinion you would be beter served just to install the cables and leave everything else for the cable guy.

-Hal

S
Not to sound negitive, but...... why test it?
It's a simple termination. I've never been called back because a Cable term failed.
If you want to buy a new tester for $750 there are a lot of other meters I'd buy first.

JMHO
Rob

M
Original question - quote "If you folks do cable televison installations, how do you check if the connection was made correctly?"

Lk, I answered for the question, which was television installations, not cctv,broadband internet connections, Universal Studios film lot #3, or mission control at Houston. My answer is a simple one for TV on a new residential job that you don't want to have to come back to. If the new owners call in for Road Runner, and the cable connections I have made are inadequate, then the cable guy can fix it himself with his fancy "testing meters". By the way I use a Cable Pro 360 for my inside connections, which gives a far superior connection to even snap and seal connectors for interior connections. Nobody ever has complained to me to come back to fix anything I have done on a cable tv system. Now if you want to spend thousands on equipment you don't really need to get the job done, may I suggest the new Greenlee speed bender line for your next job running 1/2" emt.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard