by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
Earthquake in New Zeeland
by RODALCO
11/27/16 11:25 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by Tjia1981
11/27/16 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 15
HotLine1 10
Trumpy 8
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Who's Online
0 registered (), 106 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#58458 - 11/10/05 05:36 PM Paid per piece vs hourly
ucallitme Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I have been offered a residential apprenticeship (California), and was told I would be paid per piece. Being a newbie to the trade, I do not know how this works. Whats the diffence between getting paid by piece verus by the hour (financially). Any information on this subject would be greatly appreciate. Thanks for your guys/gals time.

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#58459 - 11/10/05 05:56 PM Re: Paid per piece vs hourly
sparky 134 Offline

Loc: Joliet, Il, USA
As an apprentice I would assume your electrical skills are minimal. So, the amount of time it will take for you to complete a 'piece' will be longer than typical which translates to you making less than someone with more experience. As you learn and increase your skill level the amount of 'pieces' you complete in an 8 hour day will increase thus increasing the amount of money you will make.

If you are a motivated individual than getting paid by the piece can work out for you. If you are the type who shows up for work because you have to and has little/no motivation, than being paid by the hour would benefit you more (and hurt the employer)

#58460 - 11/10/05 06:06 PM Re: Paid per piece vs hourly
e57 Offline

Loc: S.F.,CA USA
OK... Key word time....

"residential apprenticeship" And "paid per piece", and "newbie to the trade"

You wont be paid to learn, just paid to slam as many "pieces" together as possible. Are you going to get paid for the "pieces" you F-up? NO! Are the other people working with you going to spend the time to teach you how to do any of this? No, they are paid by the piece too, and need to slam as many pieces as they can to pay themselves to do this too.

FYI, California apprenticeship laws are changing dramatically, this type of overly casual apprenticeship will soon no longer be allowed. Even the not-so-casual apprenticeships will not be allowed. Only state approved apprenticeship programs will. http://www.dir.ca.gov/DAS/ElectricalTrade.htm

To even work in the trade you would need to be certified by the end of the year. Unless it gets post-poned again....

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 11-10-2005).]

#58461 - 11/10/05 06:13 PM Re: Paid per piece vs hourly
e57 Offline

Loc: S.F.,CA USA
Print this form out: http://www.dir.ca.gov/DAS/ECP-T.pdf Give this to the person offering this Apprenticeship.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals