ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#57140 - 10/05/05 06:53 PM dimmers
jw electric Offline
Loc: Asheboro, NC
Just wondering if someone could help me understand the difference between a low voltage dimmer and an incadescent or line voltage dimmer?
#57141 - 10/06/05 04:06 AM Re: dimmers
Redsy Offline
Loc: Bucks County PA
I'm not sure about "Low Voltage" dimmers, but I believe the scr-type controller in the dimmer for electronic LV transformers operates in reverse than the typical scr...

Instead of the current being let through at a certain point on the voltage wave (the trigger point) which would cause a bit of a surge, the current comes on at zero and shuts off at a corresponding trigger point.
From what I understand, this protects electronic LV dimmers from spikes while allowing the same average, (or RMS?) current flow through the electronics.

Standard dimmers can be used on most magnetic LV transformers.

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 10-06-2005).]
#57142 - 10/06/05 03:18 PM Re: dimmers
gideonr Offline
Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Non-magnetic low voltage transformers are essentially cheap switch-mode power supplies, and rectify the mains into a capacitor, then down convert it at a high frequency.

Trailing edge dimmers are needed to feed these capacitive loads, because the inrush current from a leading edge dimmer would stress the capacitor and rectifiers.

Trailing edge dimmers cannot use an SCR or TRIAC, and have to use a pair of MOSFETs or IGBTs which makes them more expensive.
#57143 - 10/06/05 07:01 PM Re: dimmers
distributor x Offline
Loc: Canada
"Standard dimmers can be used on most magnetic LV transformers."

If I am not mistaken, when it comes to LV magnetic dimming, the dimmers must be derated by 20% to compensate for loss from transformer IE 600W LV magnetic dimmer is only good for ~450W (9 50W lamps).

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 57 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Scotto, Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals