ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#570 - 02/10/01 12:06 AM What's your favorite tool?
Bill Addiss Offline
Loc: NY, USA
I'm the kind of guy that could probably spend all day in a tool store. I'm always interested in hearing about great time-saving tools, especially the ones that don't cost alot. One of my favorites is a pen-shaped voltage proximity tester that has a tip that glows red and the tip (plastic) is shaped so it can be inserted into a receptacle slot. This is a HUGE timesaver. I don't know what I'd do without it.

Anyone else got something?

Bill
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
#571 - 02/10/01 03:07 AM Re: What's your favorite tool?
sparky Offline
My volt-tic is #1 too... i've grown particularly fond of the phone like sound's ability to get people to answer a dead phone.
#572 - 02/10/01 05:13 AM Re: What's your favorite tool?
Alan McNeil Offline
Loc: Buzzards Bay, MA U.S.A.
My favorite is the EMT reamer that slips over the shaft of a screwdriver and held in place by a set screw, it reams 1/2, 3/4, and 1 inch EMT. I love it.
#573 - 02/10/01 05:43 AM Re: What's your favorite tool?
Tom Offline
Loc: Shinnston, WV USA
My cordless drill has got to be it for me. i use hex head screws with a nut driver bit, beats putting them in by hand. I've also figured out the correct clutch settings to tighten the wires on the switches & plugs I use. I also use the wirenut installer that comes in bulk packs of Buchannon wirenuts, you really appreciate this when doing connections that are overhead.
#574 - 02/10/01 05:49 AM Re: What's your favorite tool?
Bill Addiss Offline
Tom,

If you can use your cordless (I mean a "real" cordless) to tighten screws on standard grade switches with out breaking them, you've got one up on me!
In that dept. I have this screw holder tip thing that slides down over the screw and keeps it on the tip. That is a must for anyone that works off an Extension ladder and often has to reach over to screw in something. That thing is Great!

Bill
#575 - 02/10/01 09:50 AM Re: What's your favorite tool?
Tom Offline
Loc: Shinnston, WV USA
Bill,

I have a Dewalt drill & a clutch setting of 3 on the high speed works for me. I use Hubbell CR series receptacles & CS series switches. These devices are made with a plastic that is not real brittle like some other manufacturers use. The receps run about $1 each when purchased by the case.

By "real" do you mean the type of cordless drill that doesn't use batteries but has a hand crank?

Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited 02-10-2001).]
#576 - 02/10/01 11:24 AM Re: What's your favorite tool?
Bill Addiss Offline
Tom,

No, I meant "real" as opposed to the light duty cordless screwdrivers that many people seem to buy. Those things are quite useless except for putting the covers on.
I have a Dewalt myself too. When using standard grade switches they seem to crack whenever I tried using my cordless. I guess that's a good reason to buy spec grade stuff.

Bill
#577 - 02/10/01 05:02 PM Re: What's your favorite tool?
sparky Offline
Hey, gotta pound those ground rods right? , well if your aim is as bad as mine, you probably have a few broken off sledgehammer heads .

Figure it out yet??

Weld them on a 4' pipe, and you've got a sliding hammer.
#578 - 02/10/01 07:53 PM Re: What's your favorite tool?
Bill Addiss Offline
Sparky,

Sounds good for the first 4 feet, how does the last 4 feet go in?

Bill
#579 - 02/10/01 08:58 PM Re: What's your favorite tool?
Jeff T Offline
Loc: Murfreesboro,TN,U.S.A
Bill,
I guess one of my favorites is a cable stripper made by Ideal that strips the outer insulation from circular rubber cable. I worked on a a production line at one time that was having all of the cables to its limit switches renewed, the stripper cut the job in half. It has a guide that holds the cable against an adjustable blade, once the depth is set away you go.

Jeff

PS what about the worst tool you ever bought.
I have several in mind and they all have one thing in common..........they were cheap.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (gfretwell), 95 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN, Regitest2

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals