ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#5685 - 12/01/01 06:27 PM services
mar1961 Offline
Loc: Wheeling,WV,USA
I just bought a very old house that had recently been rewired into three diferent apartments . My wife and I decided to make it into one house again my problem is I have three diferent pannels , three different meter-cans, and three different electric bills.
My question is what is the most economical way to make it just one service?
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
#5686 - 12/02/01 06:09 AM Re: services
ken m Offline
Loc: south carolina
if it is not too much of a problem paying 3 different bills that would be the less expensive way out. otherwise you would have to, depending on your location, remove the 3 meter bases and install 1 meterbase\breaker combo with at least 6 bkr spaces and feed the 3 separate bkr panels from there. that is if the feeders are long enough. if not the cost just keeps rising. if your wanting to consolidate the 3 bkr panels into 1 then your looking at some serious re-wiring.
hope some of this helps. ken m
#5687 - 12/02/01 01:10 PM Re: services
electure Offline

Loc: Fullerton, CA USA
To meet Code you will not be able to keep 3 meters in 1 occupancy per 230-40. 1 occupancy=1 meter. (Sorry)
I think the least expensive code compliant option you have is to sub-feed the 2 other panels from your main service panel, which will need to be sized to the entire load of your house.
You'll also have to abandon the 2 extra service grounds.

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 12-02-2001).]

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 54 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN, Regitest2

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals