by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
Earthquake in New Zeeland
by RODALCO
11/27/16 11:25 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by Tjia1981
11/27/16 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 14
HotLine1 10
Trumpy 8
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Who's Online
0 registered (), 214 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#56068 - 09/14/05 04:30 PM capacitor-start motor?
ape Offline

Loc: T'ville, NL, Canada
I'm a second year electrical apprentice. Was out of the trade for a while then came back in working at a shipyard on ferry refit. Dirty work (between the welding and the blasting) but has a little bit of everything: DC, motor controls, emergency systems, fire alarms, etc.
Anyway, I was sent to check out a vent fan motor in the shop which wouldn't start. 120v, 4amp FL, 60hz, single phase, capacitor start. I checked the capacitor(7 microF, 375 max voltage, 60Hz)and it wouldn't read on my meter for any capacitance but it wasn't shorted. I put a 13microF, 375 max voltage, 60Hz capacitor on to check and the motor started up and ran fine.
Would this 6microF change hurt the motor? Its 150ohms less in series with that starter winding. Time cycle should be effectively unchanged. As near as I can figure, it should have marginally lowered the resistance at start-up of the motor.
Thanks for any help.

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#56069 - 09/14/05 06:13 PM Re: capacitor-start motor?
golf junkie Offline

Loc: York, NE
Hi Ape,

Don't know if the different cap would hurt the motor or not but I'd just get the proper replacement and be done with it.

#56070 - 09/14/05 06:38 PM Re: capacitor-start motor?
mxslick Offline

Loc: Atomic City, ID USA
ape:

Welcome to the ECN!

I don't think the extra capacitance will hurt the motor at all, especially if it is usually started once or twice a day for example.

Many electrolytic caps have a rating tolerance in the very high percentage range anyway (I think + 100%, -35% or more) so I really don't see a problem here.

If you have a clamp-on ammeter a quick check of the running current (if at or below nameplate you're good to go) will answer any concerns.

This has been my experience in the past with projector motors, you actual experience may vary.

#56071 - 09/15/05 03:37 PM Re: capacitor-start motor?
ape Offline

Loc: T'ville, NL, Canada
Thanks. Have the replacement on order.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals