ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#56058 09/13/05 01:18 PM
R
rad74ss Offline OP
It has recently been brought to my attention by our welders that they have had trouble getting the plug from the welder to insert into the receptacle.

I took a peak at it (we are not supposed to do things outside of our job description) and this is what it looked like.

460 3 phase feeds into a fused disconnect. Immediately below the disco is a receptacle. The receptacle is rated at 120/208 3 phase Y. I look at the welder, it is set up for 460 1 phase. I look at the welders plug. It is 120/208 3 phase Y.

I told our welding guys that the plug and recept are supposed to be rated for the voltage being used. They then told me that every recept and plug for the 460 1 phase welders are set up the exact same way throughout the plant.

I was then told by another party that it was a maintenance issue and to go back to what I was doing.

The welding guys are now asking for the whole thing to be looked over by maintenance. Then phase C on a disconnect was malfunctioning. The screw could not be moved in or out. A fan connected to the disco along with the welder had its L3 wire laying (yes, laying) on the lug. When the guy doing the welding asked maintenance to fix it they told him to turn off the disconnect, pull the fuse, then re-insert the fuse with the wire pinned between the fuse and the fuse clip.

I told him not to do it and to to get maintenance to fix it. I also told him if they don't to talk to the Safety Supervisor.

I was looking for all code references to put in a letter to the Safety Supervisor about the welder situation and could use any help that could be offered. Right now one of our two electrical engineers (I being the other) is on medical leave so I have twice the work load plus having to train a new guy. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Robert

#56059 09/14/05 04:51 PM
R
110.3(A)(7)
110.3(B)

Note that the definition of "equipment" in Article 100 includes devices.

Link Copied to Clipboard