ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 148 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A
I noticed on the below video all the store lighting seems to be working at a Walmart after the storm. Are they running back-up generators or do you think it's utility power? Maybe it would be best if the lights were off?

Also hear some kind of alarm going off in the back ground.
http://www.zippyvideos.com/8911023771013466/countdown-looting-in-walmart/

Tom

S
It didn't seem as if the flooding was too bad outside that particular Walmart. The sirens I'd say were the burgular alarms that were set off by looter who broke in to the store.

E
e57 Offline
I believe you can hear the drone of a gennie in the backround...

As for the cops... I hear they have been walking around in shoes contaminated in sewage for several days. Many (possibly hundreds) have walked off the job, and several have commited suicide.

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 09-04-2005).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
G
It looks like all the lights are lit, if they were on emergency power wouldn't it be every other or every 3d one?

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
When the Titanic went down, everyone aboard- or at least enough to control the others- restrained their animal impulses, and tried to act for the common good. "Women and children first'" and all that....

This tape shows the exact opposite....the complete absence of any social restraint, a victory of the "hooray for me, fie on anyone else" mentality. I notice the jewlery case is empty....now there's a 'life or death' commodity if I ever saw one! And patrollong for looters with a shopping cart- very reassuring when you see the symbols of moral restraint reduced to the level of the rabble!

This sort of thing supports my contention that the area was dysfunctional for some time, and that it didn't take much for a complete breakdown to happen. The pity is, this will in turn make recovery less cmplete, and take much longer, than it should.

In a similar example, we have seen major fires destroy neighborhoods- areas that rebuilt in record time. We also have neighborhoods that burned in 1968, and still haven't recovered. The difference? The rebuilt areas only had to fix fire damage, and not a parasitical mentality as well.

I hurt for the victims of this hurricane- but in many cases like this one, they're only makng their lot much worse. Do you really think merchants will want to rebuild (assuming they can afford to) where their only "storm damage" came through the window with a brick?

Link Copied to Clipboard