ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 277 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
I was wondering what you guys charge per opening. What would you charge to finish a basement with 86 linear feet of walls, 6 recess lights, 2 keyless, 2 3ways, a dedicated line for a freezer(all the way at the other end of the basement from the panel)?

I was thinking $1565. There are a couple of 3 ways in the mechanical room, and a single pole in the freezer room.

Depends on your location & 'market'. Usually, the guys here prefer to avoid pricing numbers.

In this area (NJ) you may be considered as 'giving the ranch away' (IMHO)

John

John
C
I am in central CT.

I was wondering what you guys charge per opening.

... Alot,... but usually the morning after I get to feeling a little guilty... [Linked Image]

...(sorry I just couldn't resist)..
Russ

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 09-03-2005).]

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
S
That not a bad price. Also from CT it is around the some as I would charge.

B
Clydesdale,I'm in CT as well,sounds about right to me. Are you going to put the outlets or lighting on their own circuits or utilize existing circuits. Do you have to travel far to the job? Do you need to add any smokes,phone or CATV? Just wondering these obviously add to the cost.

C
It's about 20 min drive. I don't need to add smokes. I will be pulling 3 new circuits. One for lighting, one for receptacles, and a dedicated line for a freezer. The panel is right there for 2 of the circuits, and the freezer curcuit is all the way at the other end of the basement. As far as the TV and phone goes, I am waiting fro an answer from the GC. But these will probably be so easy to run it's pathetic. The feeds are right there.

do you usually charge the same for tv/data/phone as line voltage openings?

L
LK Offline
"In this area (NJ) you may be considered as 'giving the ranch away'"

Around here that would be a handyman price, or a price from a maintance electrician, doing non-permited moonlighting work.

I don't see how anyone can price a job using per opening as a basis, it is nothing more then dart board pricing, a good guess, win some, loose some.

Sq foot method may work for production jobs, where conditions are predicted, or sq ft is good for estimating a budget figure, but to price a job with either method, is shoot from the hip pricing.

A good way to estimate these jobs, is to walk the job, and note the site conditions, then using good job data like previous job actuals, figure the time required to install this job, with what ever conditions exist, and don't forget to include your planning time, and the time it takes to schedule, and the time to return for finish work, and time to fill out and file the permit, in the area i work, your price would be ok, for just the rough work, but every area has it's local economy to consider, and each EC has varied labor, overhead, and profit, so there is no standard cost for any job.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 09-05-2005).]

B
Clydesdale, I usually charge around 125.00 for a phone or a catv run. I run dedicated lines to each location and use a punch down block for phones, (CAT 5 and no orange wire nuts) I only use snap seal connectors on rg 6.I guess this is all irrelevant but it's what I do.

S
Here's how I figured it...

10 outlets at $40.00 each = $400.00
6 hi-hats at $150.00 each = $900.00
2 keyless fixtures at $50.00 each = $100.00
2, 3-way switches at $50.00 each = $100.00
1 single pole switch at $40.00 each = $40.00
2, 15 amp homeruns at $125.00 each = $250.00
1, 20 amp homerun at $145.00 each = $145.00

Total = $1935.00

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard