by HotLine1
Today at 09:39 AM
Son of Sparky
by HotLine1
10/20/16 07:43 PM
Speaking of Plugmold ...
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:37 PM
Broken battery charger? Check for cobwebs!
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:30 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 12
HotLine1 7
renosteinke 6
ghost307 5
Potseal 4
Who's Online
0 registered (), 244 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#54710 - 08/05/05 07:14 PM lightning damage?
BigB Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ USA
I received a call from a home buyer about a 10 year old home they are in contract to buy. The home inspection reported that each receptacle throughout the house has burn marks on the top slots only. I have not gone there yet but I thought I'd see if anyone has seen this before. The seller says they don't have a clue about what happened, it was like that when they bought it. I am thinking maybe lightning, but why only the top slots? Maybe thats where stuff was plugged in? Also, since I have not seen it yet, it is possible that it is not every single receptacle, altho that is what was reported. It is also possible there may be some burned on both top and bottom.
Only idea I could think of other than lightning was something like a large appliance used regularly throughout the house, like a space heater or two.

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#54711 - 08/05/05 07:47 PM Re: lightning damage?
mxslick Offline

Loc: Atomic City, ID USA
Maybe the inspector was/is mistaking a dirt build-up on the devices for burn marks?

Ever see the "soot" trail above a plug-in transformer that has been around a long time?

Also could be loose connections on the screws (or backstab?) leaving heat marks?

A peek inside the panel would reveal lightning damage.
Stupid should be painful.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals