Now Available!

Recent Posts
Correct rotation, wrong sequence
by Potseal
Yesterday at 03:14 PM
Industrail Control Panel bonding per 409.108
by sparkyinak
12/09/16 06:29 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
12/07/16 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
12/06/16 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 11
HotLine1 10
Potseal 9
sparkyinak 8
Texas_Ranger 7
Who's Online
1 registered (geoff in UK), 205 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#54476 - 07/29/05 01:23 PM elec. hazard labeling system?
manida Offline

Loc: Albuquerque, NM, USA
I'm preparing a user guide for a product that is powered by 110V DC. I'm adding specific warning icons and statements to the guide and want to know if there's a hazard label rating system that matches power levels to warnings. For instance, for 110V DC at 95 watts, is SHOCK HAZARD sufficient, or should it read ELECTROCUTION HAZARD? Would you have any standards that explain this requirement?

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#54477 - 08/04/05 01:54 PM Re: elec. hazard labeling system?
Ray97502 Offline

Loc: Central Point,OR
When I was writing electrical maintenance procedures in a refinery I was trained to use a phrase like “CAUTION; The misuse of this electrical equipment may clause electric shock resulting in serious injury or death” for instances where the hazard was not eminent or is preventable. And in other parts like that included in working with energized equipment, I used the phrase “Warning; Electricians performing these tasks could be exposed to electrical shock.” This is for instances where a hazard does exist.
The general requirement was to inform the reader of the hazards involved without overstating the situation. The use of the word “caution” was intended for conditions that may exist and the word “warning” was used for conditions that could or will exist.
Can't remember where the references or guides came from.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals