Register Now!

Register Now!

We want your input!

Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
Today at 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 100 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#5413 - 11/18/01 08:58 PM Extra?
sparky66wv Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I had hung a Kichler brand chandelier in the foyer of the house I'm trimming out, found a note from the home-owner:

"Please remove this fixture, it is the wrong one and we'll return it to the store for the right one"...

I've bid waaaaay too low on this job months ago (verbal contract), and this job just "won't go away". It took 1.5 hours to decipher the instuctions, fit the pieces together (including a complete dismantle of one section to tap threads that were apparently missed on the assembly line) and hang the "luminaire", and another 1/2 hour to remove, disassemble and package said luminaire... Including wrenching my back (again) when the final screw finally let go...

Should I (can I) charge this as an extra in some way? How much? Set price or hourly?

What would you do?
Member IAEI

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#5414 - 11/18/01 09:51 PM Re: Extra?
ElectricAL Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN USA
'66

Time and materials for the changes, including the takedown and repackaging. 'Course, this part I itemize on the final bill.

In the end, the customer is left with a building with greater value as a result of my work, whether I got paid for it or not. The bid (contract), verbal or written, is set, but the changes can be simple T&M or flat rate, . . . the important thing is not to loose track of them.

#5415 - 11/19/01 03:33 AM Re: Extra?
sparky Offline

And 'extra' work the customer desires is billable, thier indecision and/or indesgression should not be something YOU eat.

#5416 - 11/19/01 03:49 AM Re: Extra?
Redsy Offline

Loc: Bucks County PA
If they picked up the fixture, then they probably changed their mind once they saw it installed. Definitely billable labor. If you picked up the fixture, and they didn't see it prior to installation, they may have a point. Have you discussed it with them yet?

#5417 - 11/19/01 03:54 AM Re: Extra?
motor-T Offline

Loc: Girard, Ohio, USA
'66
Absolutely WCO time, but be careful on a verbal contracts they can sneak up and bite you.

#5418 - 11/19/01 04:11 AM Re: Extra?
electure Offline

Loc: Fullerton, CA USA
Be sure to discuss (write)the extra T&M before you hang their new fixture. Once it's up, it's up.

#5419 - 11/19/01 04:54 AM Re: Extra?
sparky66wv Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Yep, they picked out an picked up the fixture... The blame is now on the supply house, but I know they won't pay my extras...

As my wife put it so eloquently... it's a shame when the GC is driving a Jaguar and we're eating mac and cheese... But I tend to blame myself for not sticking up for myself too...

Member IAEI

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals