ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#53731 07/05/05 04:33 PM
K
kg18 Offline OP
Detached shop. Builder ran conduit from house to shop. OK, run 2 20 amp circuits, 3 o/s outlets, 3 o/s lights, 4 switchs, 4 inside lights, 8 outlets. Builder will supply lights. Just want to see what you guys come up with on a price. Thanks

#53732 07/05/05 06:12 PM
G
Kg18, is "owner" an occupation? Sounds more like a homeowner that's trying to see if the builder is charging too much. He probably is. But the only thing you can do is call a local licensed electrician and get a quote ( call someone close and not the biggest add in the book ). The area that you live in can make a huge difference in price.

#53733 07/05/05 06:46 PM
K
kg18 Offline OP
No need to be a wise guy! I just passed my contractor exam and this will be my first job. Its just a small job but ya gotta start somewhere. I came up with somewhere between $800 and $1000. All I want is some advice. Thanks

#53734 07/05/05 07:01 PM
D
Depends on alot of things:

What is the going rate where you are at, per hour?

Buider supplies lights? Uh-oh. "Could be trouble" What kind, and what if they are missing parts?

Conduit, Mc, NM? What is your wiring method?

2 circuits? 4 switches?, what type of disconnect you using?

Sub panel? You may need a ground rod?

Ok, enough of that....

Point is, it is tooo difficult to price it without knowing particulars.

Sounds like 2 days work, maybe $150 in materials without a sub panel.

(16X$75)+ $200(markup materials)=$1400.

But that's just a guess, and don't forget permit fees and inspections!

Dnk.......

#53735 07/05/05 07:33 PM
E
If this is a detached building and you need more than 1 circuit you must have a subpanel in the detached building, so keep that in mind. As far as pricing the job, too many variables exist to even guess at a fair price, but welcome to the board.

#53736 07/05/05 07:40 PM
G
Kg18, didn't mean to be a wise guy. If you would change your profile to show electrical contractor the mistake will not be made in the future.There is no slot for time in grade so an EC is an EC. Soon you will take a dim view of a homeowner trying to second guess a fellow EC. Dnkldorf is probably right on the time, if your hourly rate is the same then run with it. The good thing about small jobs, You can't loose much and you learn from experience.

#53737 07/06/05 12:01 AM
S
I think that giving pricing over the internet is not wise. Is kg18 an electrician? Is he an EC? Is he someone who is completley inept at electrical work and just going to hurt himself?
If he is an electrician he should be able to figure it out on his own. If he is an EC he needs to learn how to bid some other way than a "web site" from people who learned this trade by experience.

JMHO

Rob

#53738 07/06/05 06:51 AM
D
sierra,
You have to take the good with the bad here.
Sure there is going to be HO's, who come to this site and want to double check either EC's or GC's.
I realize this site isn't intended for that, but if keeps the scamming EC's at bay, I'll try to help them out.

As far as him being an electrician, and finding out on his own how to do things, isn't that what this site is for?

Dnk......

#53739 07/06/05 11:19 AM
G
" Giving pricing out over the internet is not wise". Exactly Right. I'm all for keeping scaming EC's at bay. I recommend getting three estimates from local, qualified electrical contractors. I have found sites on the internet that quote some unbelievably low prices for electrical work. If a homeowner reads them, they will be sure to think they are getting riped-off. Where do you get a 200 AMP service upgrade for $1100.00 or a 1500 sq. ft house completely rewired for $2000.00. These are just made up quotes by poeple that are never going to do the work ( useless ). Some poor home buyer gets an old house thinking that these are the real cost of repairs. Experience can be a harsh teacher. The only price that matters is the one you can get the work done for. Everything else is just speculation.

#53740 07/06/05 12:06 PM
R
Electrical cost estimating books (bid or Boggie books) are available at your local book store....If anyone here bids, it they will need to include a per diem and travel expenses...you wouldn't get a good price at all.

Dnk...all I can say is that if you bid it for 1.4K in the bay area you would be bankrupt in a week. A journeyman is making more than 40/hr in some counties. But now in South Texas if you bid it for that you'd never get any work, there the non union shops can find help for 16.hr

And lastly are there any NEC Article 500 > 503 issues to be concerned with, will there be dust, paint, or gases. My brothers neighbor built a “little wood shop” (12x16), out back and never thought that the dust from the sander would ignite when he turned on a drill. (It was a small fire and no one was seriously hurt.) Though there may not be any legal requirement for the HO’s shop space, I would cover it in the pre bid discussion with him.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard