ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#50968 - 04/17/05 08:07 AM Know any good human relations books?
Sparkeee32 Offline
Loc: Federal Way WA USA
Howdy! I nead to improve my human relations skills, and teamwork skills. I would like to find some trade books that help with improving these skills. Any ideas would be appreatiated! Brian, Sparkeee24!
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
#50969 - 04/17/05 09:30 AM Re: Know any good human relations books?
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant
Loc: Blue Collar Country
Advice I gan give..even if I don't follow it as well as I should:

-Ever read a Dale Carnigie book?;
-Always have a pleasant demeanor, and be first to say "Hello" or "good morning";
-Watch those who have the knack; and,
-Immigrants- even the "slowest", seem to have exceptional people skills, and manage to avoid getting caught up in job politics. Watch and learn.
#50970 - 04/17/05 09:39 AM Re: Know any good human relations books?
redwyernut Offline
Loc: augusta ga USA
Those will help a lot. Also, The Bible is a good one. I read the NIV on christnotes.org, but you can choose the version that's easiest to understand. 10 minutes a day will change your life. Read and understand, you can even search for specific things like, "working with others", or "character".

[This message has been edited by redwyernut (edited 04-17-2005).]
#50971 - 04/18/05 01:59 PM Re: Know any good human relations books?
dereckbc Offline
Loc: Tulsa, OK
Yes, look for two authors of Andrew "Dice" Clay, and Richard Pryor.
#50972 - 04/19/05 06:45 AM Re: Know any good human relations books?
SolarPowered Offline
Loc: Palo Alto, CA, USA
I'll second Reno's suggestion--Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People is a superb book that's stood the test of time (it's still in print after all these years). I recommend it highly.
#50973 - 04/19/05 02:50 PM Re: Know any good human relations books?
wa2ise Offline
Loc: Oradell NJ USA
Being weak on interpersonal skills is not that rare with technically minded people. Of course, we all have to work for a boss, and all bosses are persons. How much of a raise you'll get is greatly dependent on what the boss *thinks* you are doing, not what you are in reality are doing. "Office Politics" (which is not confined to offices, any worksite qualifies) is something not explicitly taught in school. I don't mean the cut throat back stabbing dirty tricks kind of politics, what I mean would be the everyday give and take, lending a hand, avoiding embarrising the boss in front of the crew or customer (even when you know it's clear that he screwed up (unless a risk to life would occur)). A book I got years ago
"Office Politics" by IIRC Marlyin Moats Kennedy was pretty good. I've also seen for sale "Office Politics for dummies" but I haven't read it so I cant say if it's good or not.

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 75 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 49
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 18
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN, Regitest2

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals