by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
Earthquake in New Zeeland
by RODALCO
11/27/16 11:25 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by Tjia1981
11/27/16 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 15
HotLine1 10
Trumpy 8
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Who's Online
0 registered (), 215 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#50947 - 04/16/05 12:27 PM Fire Alarm Systems - Edwards.
Cinner Offline

Loc: Kelowna, B.C., Canada
I am looking for some help with wiring fire alarm systems. I am currently working on a 25 storey concrete high rise as a 3rd year apprentice and our fire alarm person has just left the company. For the present time I have been left to figure out how to continue the fire alarm sytem. Does anyone have any knowledge on Edwards Sytems and with their IDM, Siga MCC1, Siga MCC2 modules and their tone and page functions. I am currently pulling in my risers to each floor(to the idms) and want to confirm my sets of wires.

thanks,
cinner

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#50948 - 04/16/05 12:41 PM Re: Fire Alarm Systems - Edwards.
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant

Loc: Blue Collar Country
Technique is everything. If you were taught not to ues wire strippers, don't use them; one little nick, and you'll spend a week troubleshooting the fault!
There should be someone there to train you...different eqt has different ways to hook it up. Your apprentice program- probably as part of the last year- has a section on fire alarms, and probably has a sample board to practice on. Find it and use it.

#50949 - 04/16/05 01:47 PM Re: Fire Alarm Systems - Edwards.
Sandro Offline

Loc: Stoney Creek, ON, Canada
Hrm...I thought only licensed and fully qualified journeymen were supposed to do fire alarms.

#50950 - 04/16/05 02:31 PM Re: Fire Alarm Systems - Edwards.
e57 Offline

Loc: S.F.,CA USA
I assume the guy before you was working from an engineered riser diagram. (for a 25 story building I hope so!) You should have no problems following the diagram, but operationally, and in terms of connection, they should all have instructions with them, which may, or may not be modified by who ever designed the system. If I were you, I'd get to know that person very well, hopefully it isn't the guy who's leaving.

Wiring diagrams like this will tell you typical connections: http://www.greateralarm.com/gain/gainpdfs/est/ESTSIGACC1-MCC1-CC2-MCC2SignalModulesDataSheet.pdf

Most of the companies who make this stuff offer training, But Edwards just got bought by GE, and thier sites are a scrambled egg right now.

I think the best advice here, that you can get, is to make sure you over-size the boxes and conduits. Ring out and lable all the wire well. As I hope your company isn't going to leave you alone to do this....

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals