by Ruben Rocha
Today at 07:36 PM
ESA Arc flash course
by frank
Today at 04:25 PM
Re: Fabricating Guards out of Lexan?
by frank
Yesterday at 04:11 PM
Would ELV branch circuits be a good idea?
by gfretwell
Yesterday at 01:26 PM
Why cables look like they do
by Texas_Ranger
Yesterday at 12:33 PM
New in the Gallery:
Desk-mounted "power-board"
Top Posters (30 Days)
Webmaster 27
HotLine1 21
Ruben Rocha 16
Trumpy 12
ghost307 12
Who's Online
2 registered (Webmaster, sparkyinak), 0 Guests and 224 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#47977 - 01/31/05 10:56 AM Utilities Send Message to Fear Factor: Electricity Is No Game
Webmaster Online   content

Administrator

Loc: NY, USA
Quote:
RALEIGH, N.C. (Jan. 31, 2005) -- In an upcoming episode of 'FearFactor Couples,' contestants are reportedly required to stand near an electric power substation and receive minor, "nuisance" shocks. In reality, what Fear Factor describes as a nuisance shock could be extremely dangerous. The episode is scheduled to air tonight, Monday, Jan. 31, at 8 p.m. (EST).
see Utilities Send Message to Fear Factor: Electricity Is No Game for more info.

(Thanks to Joe Tedesco fotr the heads up)

Bill

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#47978 - 01/31/05 05:35 PM Re: Utilities Send Message to Fear Factor: Electricity Is No Game
trollog Offline

Loc: San Diego California USA
Wow! surprised the producers got that idea past the lawyers.

#47979 - 02/01/05 06:16 PM Re: Utilities Send Message to Fear Factor: Electricity Is No Game
mxslick Offline

Loc: Atomic City, ID USA
This is NOT the first time they've done stunts in or around a substation. On a previous episode the contestants walked across a suspended beam on stilts in what looked like the rear area of the substation. The beam WAS NOT over any gear, but the cranes supporting said beam seemed a little close to substaion equipment.

The worst part to me anyway is when they did thier "walk-in" right through the middle of LIVE transformers and switchgear. If I were on the show, I'd have lost by refusing to walk through that gear with power on.

It appeared to be a local facility owned by a utility that handles liquid and electricity. I do wonder how much money changed hands to permit filming in a dangerous facility....

One of the local POCO's aired a warning commercial during last night's episode. (Not the same one I refer to above.)

An incredibly stupid stunt in any event.

[This message has been edited by mxslick (edited 02-01-2005).]

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals