ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#47977 - 01/31/05 10:56 AM Utilities Send Message to Fear Factor: Electricity Is No Game
Admin Offline

Administrator
Loc: NY, USA
Quote:
RALEIGH, N.C. (Jan. 31, 2005) -- In an upcoming episode of 'FearFactor Couples,' contestants are reportedly required to stand near an electric power substation and receive minor, "nuisance" shocks. In reality, what Fear Factor describes as a nuisance shock could be extremely dangerous. The episode is scheduled to air tonight, Monday, Jan. 31, at 8 p.m. (EST).
see Utilities Send Message to Fear Factor: Electricity Is No Game for more info.

(Thanks to Joe Tedesco fotr the heads up)

Bill
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
#47978 - 01/31/05 05:35 PM Re: Utilities Send Message to Fear Factor: Electricity Is No Game
trollog Offline
Loc: San Diego California USA
Wow! surprised the producers got that idea past the lawyers.
#47979 - 02/01/05 06:16 PM Re: Utilities Send Message to Fear Factor: Electricity Is No Game
mxslick Offline
Loc: Atomic City, ID USA
This is NOT the first time they've done stunts in or around a substation. On a previous episode the contestants walked across a suspended beam on stilts in what looked like the rear area of the substation. The beam WAS NOT over any gear, but the cranes supporting said beam seemed a little close to substaion equipment.

The worst part to me anyway is when they did thier "walk-in" right through the middle of LIVE transformers and switchgear. If I were on the show, I'd have lost by refusing to walk through that gear with power on.

It appeared to be a local facility owned by a utility that handles liquid and electricity. I do wonder how much money changed hands to permit filming in a dangerous facility....

One of the local POCO's aired a warning commercial during last night's episode. (Not the same one I refer to above.)

An incredibly stupid stunt in any event.

[This message has been edited by mxslick (edited 02-01-2005).]

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 84 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Scotto, Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals