ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a isolated ground receptacle with two grounding screws. I know that they have a grounding screw for the isolated ground conductor, but i was wondering if they make one that has a grounding screw for the other grounding conductor.

W
I have never seen such, and believe that such would be essentially useless.

An isolated ground receptacle is only potentially of use in an environment where there is current flow or electrical noise on the grounding system. For example, even in a _properly_ installed metal raceway system, you almost certainly will have loop paths described through the grounded metal. You will almost certainly have changing magnetic flux coupled through these loops, and thus current flow on the ground system.

I suppose you could also have electrostatic pickup by the ground conductor; a isolated ground conductor surrounded by a metal raceway would be shielded from this.

But in any of these metallic systems, the yoke of the isolated ground receptacle will be properly grounded through the metal receptacle box. No need for a second screw.

Now consider an isolated ground receptacle in a non-metallic box. Clearly the yoke is not properly grounded...but on the other side of the coin, a $0.39 Home Depot special in a non-metallic box essentially has an isolated ground. Use a non-metallic wiring method, and a single receptacle on the circuit, and if the run is back to the main panel, then you have something that is electrically an 'isolated ground' receptacle.

-Jon

R
Perhaps it is to bond a metal faceplate?

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
H
No, what for? Mount the receptacle in a metal box and you don't need it. Use a plastic box and you don't need a separate isolated ground or an IG receptacle.

-Hal

[This message has been edited by hbiss (edited 01-06-2005).]

Link Copied to Clipboard