ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#4646 10/06/01 01:16 PM
M
Merritt Offline OP
hey, down here in miami we have very few in old buildings.. ive always loved em.. the old ones with one button on top and one on bottom.. if ANYONE has one in working and decent condition, or happen upon one, please let me know, id love to buy it off you.. a cover plate would be nice too.. email me if you have one mburrus@bellsouth.net

-m

Remember when you read my posts, im only 17, still learning... "Hey, its takes what it takes!"
Tom Offline
When I sold my Mom's house in 1993, there were still a few of these in use that were 60 to 70 years old. they only made one grade of switch back then, the best. I really haven't seen any of these since I moved to WV.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
M
Merritt Offline OP
our house was built in 1926.. really old for miami, any way, we have a few real live snap action switches.. theyre huge, made of porcelean and hard to move, but they sure do snap.. lol they actually break line and load a moveable blade totally snaps out when you operate it.. 75 years and still working.. its damn good.. we have a few old recepticles too.. they still work as well.. though some have lost tension...

-m

Remember when you read my posts, im only 17, still learning... "Hey, its takes what it takes!"
M
Found one of these in the house I just did.The 'on' button actually has a mother of pearl inlay! The owner insisted that I try to keep it in service, so I very carefully took it apart, and all it required was a cleaning; mechanically, very sound.

Link Copied to Clipboard