ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#45342 11/24/04 11:34 AM
S
just being noisy but what are the hourly wages in your neck of the woods. Before i partnered up and went out on our own we were both making about 14.00 hourly. keep in mind we both completed apprenticeships and are licensed. and supplied our own equipment, from hand tools, power tools and even ladders. so you can see why we quit

ps i looked in the other threads for something like this but couldn't find anything on this. me and my partner want this info due to a legal thing that our previous boss slapped on us for not coming to work anymore.

thanks
perm maintenance services

#45343 11/24/04 04:57 PM
Slumlord:
Wages are kind of a item a lot of us don't like to discuss; most importantly it varies widely by area, and the type of work you do.

I feel I should also add, knowledge and the quality of the individual's work performance carry a lot of weight on hourly renumeration.

Generally, a resi new const. (non-union) EC tends to be at the low end, although some pay a premium for "good people".

Also, the beni package has to be considered as part of the "wages". I don't know how steep health ins is in your area, but it's an arm & a leg here.

The rate you stated, was that a 'sub' rate or did you get beni's (Health, WC, Liab, etc) ??

Please do not think that I'm being critical, or a smart xxx; I'm just trying to give you a reply.

John

John
#45344 11/24/04 05:09 PM
C
slumlord, I have to agree with John. Wages are way to tough a thing to discuss. Way to many variables to the equation. In New England I have apprentices working with me that make more than the figure you posted. Every area of the country is going to be different. The cost of living makes a big difference. It is high here in Massachusetts. I hope you don't take this as a smart xxx answer.

Al

[This message has been edited by capt al (edited 11-24-2004).]

#45345 11/24/04 05:11 PM
S
hotline

thanks. I kind of figured that was a little toooo personal. I have gotten all the facts I think I need off the web

by the way we were on pay roll had no bennies and did service upgrades code corrections and high end residental and commerical service work. we also had to provide our own work vechile atleast he paid for the gas.

#45346 11/24/04 05:28 PM
Slumlordworker:
Now I can add this:
For what you say you did, with your own vehicle (and I guess your ins)......you were getting less than 50% of the 'going rate' around here for a "sub".

Heck, my business insurance premium for auto (trucks) liability & WC is about 25K a year, and IF I use 'subs' they either have their own insurance (Certificate Required) or I have to add them to my coverage.

Without dropping any info, the last 'sub' I used got about $1500 for 5 days.

John

John
#45347 11/24/04 11:12 PM
A
Slum,

I don't know the address just now but there is a goverment site the list wages by job leval and area. You might find it if you search ECN or maybe someone elce knows it.
http://wic.ilworkinfo.com/analyzer/saintro.asp?cat=INC&session=oeswage&time=&geo=
Heres one for IL only, look under cunstruction.

#45348 11/25/04 01:08 AM
me and my partner want this info due to a legal thing that our previous boss slapped on us for not coming to work anymore.

I don't understand. Did you sign some sort of binding agreement?

As I see it, the company I work for rents me...they don't own me. I don't have to go to work if I don't want to, and in turn they don't have to keep me if they don't want to.

#45349 11/25/04 01:34 AM
N
I don't know about where your at, but in new jersey ALL employment is AT WILL (by law), therefor any employeer can let go go for no reason at any time with no notice!!!!, as well as you can leave at will, as long as no LEGAL contracts are in affect.

#45350 11/25/04 08:59 AM
Scott{Electure},
As I see it, the company I work for rents me...they don't own me.
That's a very valid point, there is no law anywhere (at least as far as I'm aware) that says you have to work at a given workplace.
Unless of course you're in prison, which we aren't!. [Linked Image]

#45351 11/25/04 02:57 PM
G
Unless of course you're in prison, which we aren't!.

I have definatley had some jobs that felt like I was though. There are a few companies I "did time" at before getting into this great trade.

I would not want to speculate too much, but you must have entered into some kind of contract or signed something that they slipped by you. I know when you haven't worked for a little while, you will not always read what you are signing.

Hope it works out for you.

Philip

"If common sense was common, everyone would have it"-not sure, someone here

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard