ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
E
I went for inspection for temporary wiring to a X-mas tree lot. I took great pride in making this tree lot look like no other lot since the owner had wired a punkin patch and was shut down for the job he did installing the wiring. He had open splices mid-span and to be honest it looked like crap. The lot is 200' x 300'. I installed 25 1000 w quartz lights and used so cord 12/3 made drip loops all even and did the make up in a bell box with cover plate. I decided to use a sub panel for distabution to some of the lights. Now here comes the fun part. I had 1/0 Alum service wire but had no messenger. Since it was a temporary instillation no more than 30 days I figured I could use the coated netural as my messenger but I was told that Alum wire was not allowed in their city under any circumstances and I would have to use copper wire to feed my 70 amp sub. I want to ask for a exemption since I oversized the wire and it is the same type Edison uses for their service drops. I was also told I could not use the netural as a messenger so I went the extra mile and got kellem grips at $24.00 a pop. (there goes the profit) I did the same type of install in the same city at another location. My Question is...what if they don't give me an exemption...do I have any recourse to remendy this problem I have?
Thanks for any help you can give............

B
Article 321/396 seems to allow use of a field-fabricated messenger and lashing conductors to it.

As to aluminum conductor, might he buy into something like Burndy AYPO connectors>? http://ecatalog.fciconnect.com/fci/datasheet.asp?PN=AYP10&FAM=AYPO&P=115187

Link Copied to Clipboard