by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
Earthquake in New Zeeland
by RODALCO
11/27/16 11:25 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by Tjia1981
11/27/16 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 15
HotLine1 10
Trumpy 8
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Who's Online
1 registered (sparkyinak), 237 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45268 - 11/21/04 08:18 PM 1/0 Aluminum Wire used as feeders to sub
ElectroMike Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA.
I went for inspection for temporary wiring to a X-mas tree lot. I took great pride in making this tree lot look like no other lot since the owner had wired a punkin patch and was shut down for the job he did installing the wiring. He had open splices mid-span and to be honest it looked like crap. The lot is 200' x 300'. I installed 25 1000 w quartz lights and used so cord 12/3 made drip loops all even and did the make up in a bell box with cover plate. I decided to use a sub panel for distabution to some of the lights. Now here comes the fun part. I had 1/0 Alum service wire but had no messenger. Since it was a temporary instillation no more than 30 days I figured I could use the coated netural as my messenger but I was told that Alum wire was not allowed in their city under any circumstances and I would have to use copper wire to feed my 70 amp sub. I want to ask for a exemption since I oversized the wire and it is the same type Edison uses for their service drops. I was also told I could not use the netural as a messenger so I went the extra mile and got kellem grips at $24.00 a pop. (there goes the profit) I did the same type of install in the same city at another location. My Question is...what if they don't give me an exemption...do I have any recourse to remendy this problem I have?
Thanks for any help you can give............

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#45269 - 11/22/04 09:53 AM Re: 1/0 Aluminum Wire used as feeders to sub
Bjarney Offline

Loc: West-Southern Inner-Northeast ...
Article 321/396 seems to allow use of a field-fabricated messenger and lashing conductors to it.

As to aluminum conductor, might he buy into something like Burndy AYPO connectors>? http://ecatalog.fciconnect.com/fci/datasheet.asp?PN=AYP10&FAM=AYPO&P=115187

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals