by Tjia1981
10/23/16 12:08 PM
Son of Sparky
by HotLine1
10/20/16 07:43 PM
Speaking of Plugmold ...
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:37 PM
Broken battery charger? Check for cobwebs!
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:30 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 14
HotLine1 7
ghost307 7
renosteinke 6
Potseal 4
Who's Online
0 registered (), 268 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45049 - 11/17/04 06:34 PM Teaching old dogs new tricks
e57 Offline

Loc: S.F.,CA USA
In our Company we branched out to do Tel/Data years ago, yet still have some employees who dont cross the line when it comes to Phones and Networking. (Great Electricians though.) However, it accounts for 25-30% of our work these days.

Most of crossing that line is the learning curve. (ie Teaching it)

Another part of it is these guys not wanting to be run on phone and network jobs by much younger electricians, who when they started learned both electrical, and the LV side.

(I too was in the trade a while before all the LV stuff started becoming a staple food for us. But drew it in quick.)

So anyway, sort of hiring out guys to do just Phones and Data, and having only a percentage of work for them, and another percentage of work for the others, I would like to see if I can broaden some horizons slightly.

So short of sending everyone to expenive courses. Does anyone know of some "easy reading" books on Cabling standards and instalation / termination?

Clarification: "Easy reading" in the sense that they won't put you to sleep!
Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#45050 - 11/18/04 03:35 PM Re: Teaching old dogs new tricks
Edward Offline

Loc: California
Pro Home Depot Has a 1 day seminar that is put on by LEVITON FOR LV wiring. I took it at the Milpitas location. you might call the Colma Pro Home Depot to see if they offer that at that location.(closer to you)
I have also taken the BICSI week long course it was for 5-6 days and then you take a test to be first level installer. BICSI might also be a good source.

Good luck

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals