ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44874 - 11/14/04 02:26 PM Reducing conduit size
wewire2 Offline
Loc: California
An inspector told me I could not reduce the size of conduit in a run except at the termination. The contractor ran a 2" PVC underground. At grade level I installed a Female Adaptor and a 2"x1" reducing bushing.
I then ran 1" sealtight to a small panel in a piece of equipment. The circuit was 3 #8,
1#10 Grd. The total length of the entire run was only about 12'. He said "It's somewhere in the code book". Can someone save me a hassle and let me know where to find that one?
Thanks
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
#44875 - 11/14/04 02:30 PM Re: Reducing conduit size
iwire Offline
Loc: North Attleboro, MA USA
The inspector can not find it because that rule does not exist.

While most times it is not a great idea it is not a code violation.
#44876 - 11/14/04 05:53 PM Re: Reducing conduit size
wewire2 Offline
I agree. I have never run across that rule either. By the way, that was the same inspector I mentioned in another thread I started a while back. "Inspectors who are
#+%*&".
#44877 - 11/15/04 05:57 AM Re: Reducing conduit size
Steve Miller Offline
Loc: Loudoun Cty, VA
Try my classic response: "Thanks for pointing that out. When you get back to the office would you call me and tell me the code section so I can read up on it. I'd hate to get caught in the same mistake twice."

It usually works; plus he's at the other end of the phone now and it's easier for him to say he'll let it go when he's not face to face.
#44878 - 11/16/04 01:24 PM Re: Reducing conduit size
DougW Offline
Loc: North Chicago, IL
As others have said - he's talking out of his errr, pants...

As long as your within limits for conductor fill (which you are) there's nothing in th Code that prohibits it.
#44879 - 11/16/04 05:28 PM Re: Reducing conduit size
Roger Offline
Loc: N.C.
Tell the inspector he/she is looking from the wrong end, and that in reallity, you increased the conduit size and did not reduce it.

I know, and I apologize.

Roger
#44880 - 11/18/04 10:53 PM Re: Reducing conduit size
wewire2 Offline
I just got back from an out of town job
(3 days). I got called on one thing. No plastic bushings on 3" PVC Terminal adaptors.
The contractor oversized the underground conduit from plan specs from 2" to 3". The pull was 2 #1 and 1#8 Grd. So as you can can imagine there are three dinkey little wires coming out of a huge conduit, not even touching the edges. The inspector made me tear everything apart to install bushings. I believe in bell ends for feeding but do you always use bushings on PVC and is this a fair call?
#44881 - 11/18/04 11:38 PM Re: Reducing conduit size
e57 Offline
Loc: S.F.,CA USA
I rarely use PVC/RNC, and dare I say don't often use bushings on it either, because often the only times I use it, it will have Bell End, and a steel conduit on the other. But yep, required.

352.46 Bushings.
Where a conduit enters a box, fitting, or other enclosure, a bushing or adapter shall be provided to protect the wire from abrasion unless the box, fitting, or enclosure design provides equivalent protection.

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Scotto, Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals