Register Now!

Register Now!

We want your input!

Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
Yesterday at 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
12/06/16 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 196 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44670 - 11/09/04 11:30 AM narrow & tall wall heater?
royta Offline

Loc: CA
My grandmother lives about 70 miles from me, so I try to make it there as often as I can. She has a 1953-ish electric wall heater in her bathroom, and the switch has gone out. It is an appliance switch and the yoke is shorter than a standard toggle switch. The appliance does not have any built in safety devices of any sort, nor does it have a fan. You could flip it on, and go on a 6 month vacation and just hope that everything was fine.

Instead of cutting down the yoke on a standard switch, I'd rather just replace the heater with one that has a fan and some built in safety devices. However, the old heater measures (outside of trim) 47" x 9". Most of the electric wall heaters are around 12" x 10".

Do I have any options other than patching drywall?

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#44671 - 11/09/04 12:24 PM Re: narrow & tall wall heater?
earlydean Offline

Loc: Griswold, CT, USA
I've had success in the past with fabrication of a piece of sheet metal to fit the outside dimensions, then cutting the appropriate opening in the middle for the new unit. A little spray on paint, and it looks not half bad. If the heater rating will allow, you can even use 1/4 inch paneling or plywood. There is also a wedge-on piece you can add to the edge of sheetrock to finish the edge, then paint, and it blends into the wall, even if it sticks out an additional 1/2 inch. You can also frame it in with mitered trim, like a picture frame.

#44672 - 11/09/04 12:59 PM Re: narrow & tall wall heater?
royta Offline

If I'm going to go through all that, I'll just patch the drywall. Then it would actually look good.

I was hoping I could find heater with the same dimensions. I'm guessing the chances are slim, as the addition of fans has allowed more efficient use of wall heater space, thus allowing for a smaller unit.

edit - I don't mean anything bad in my first paragraph. It just seems like a lot of effort to only have the installation not pass by grandmother's inspection. "Not half bad" won't cut the mustard.

[This message has been edited by royta (edited 11-09-2004).]

#44673 - 11/09/04 06:40 PM Re: narrow & tall wall heater?
BigB Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ USA
royta,
You could install a thermal cutout (about three bucks) in the line and a wall mount line voltage T-Stat. This would do away with the switch altogether and if you got a cutout with a high opening temp it would be a backup if the stat gets left on.
Aside from that I doubt you will ever match that size. Is the company still around?

#44674 - 11/10/04 09:38 AM Re: narrow & tall wall heater?
royta Offline

I don't remember the name of the manufacturer, but it was some outfit in Los Angeles. I did some internet searching but found nothing on them. They were more than likely bought out, or something to that effect.

#44675 - 11/13/04 10:59 AM Re: narrow & tall wall heater?
OreElect Offline

Loc: Salem,Oregon.USA
Bottom of page,sapw or capw,with a new cc can,heater with stat and cgw grill. http://www.cadetco.com/show_product.php?prodid=1002.
We use the Cadet adapters.

[This message has been edited by OreElect (edited 11-13-2004).]

[This message has been edited by OreElect (edited 11-13-2004).]

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals