ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#42966 09/29/04 10:18 PM
M
Hi,
I looked at a job today that is a modern log home. it seems the builder installs the raceways and cuts the holes for the outlets etc.

this is a two single family home with a walkout basement. around 4000 sq ft total.

the service is located around 100 feet from the home.

i have done a few log homes but it was back in the early eighties and i can remember that there was a lot of drilling and boring and fishing cables and there was a lot of wiremold boxes installed on the suface of the logs.

these logs are cut at a mill and fit together with a tongue and groove type joint. the interior of the home is stud walls. i would probably use metal masonry boxes for the cut out holes...shallow and deep..this way the box can be secured in the wall..

i am thinking that this would be a little higher than a regular stick built home.

cable/data/tel extra..

about 10 recessed cans and 10 undercounter lighting (puck type)..ceiling fans in all rooms except bath and hallway.

total electric..

i was wondering if anyone had any experience on one and what one may suggest for a price per sq ft or opening.

i was thinking $8K for the job that would include a 200A service and no light fixtures.

thanks for any comments or suggestions.

sincerely,

mustang

#42967 09/30/04 01:53 AM
S
Mustang give me an e mail and can discuss in fine detail as this is primarily what I (company i work for ) do. as for the rest of the readers we drill with a superhog and 4 foot lennox auger bits every 4th - 6th row of logs the boxes are set between courses of logs so the 3 and 4th row share a box we use t&b 2000 and screw them in the back have recently gone to the smart boxes on a trial basis (definately my preferance) all done in nm and it requitres planning in advace for the circuit layout especially if it is on a slab on grade. any one else have questions please feel free to ask, i dont usually have much to offer here but this one is a comfort zone [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparkystudent (edited 09-30-2004).]

#42968 10/02/04 12:59 AM
D
In the log homes we have done, we cut in receptacles in the large baseboard, positioning them so they fall in the inset between the first and second logs. then we jsut staple the NM to the logs, and let the trim guys cover it with the baseboard. The switches are mounted into the large area around the doors (for shrinkage in the logs) that gets covered with a wide plank.

Most of it is fairly normal NM wiring, with most of the prior planning going into lighting layout, and getting switch legs in place before the roof system/second floor is set in place.

I've never done a slab log home. THAT would be a bear.

Link Copied to Clipboard