by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
Earthquake in New Zeeland
by RODALCO
11/27/16 11:25 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by Tjia1981
11/27/16 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 133 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#42827 - 09/27/04 09:44 AM Hex key wrenches
tool man Offline

Hey guys. This is my first post, but I've really been enjoying the site.

I was wondering if anyone still uses plain old hex keys (Allen wrenches) for anything anymore. It seems like everything has to be torqued these days, making good ol' L and T wrenches a tool of the past. Or am I missing something?

For those still using them, whose do you buy?

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#42828 - 09/27/04 02:14 PM Re: Hex key wrenches
capt al Offline

Loc: Norton, Ma USA
tool man, I just bought a new set of Allen wrenches the other day. Somehow my old set got misplaced. I hate replacing tools unless I wear them out. Not the case this time. Needed them asap and had to settle for Husky at the orange roof store. I do not like them. They don't feel right in my hand. Another reason old tools are great. They just fit right.

#42829 - 09/27/04 04:04 PM Re: Hex key wrenches
Peter Offline

Loc: San Diego
Allen wrenches [hex keys] are stull commonly used. The smaller sizes are often encountered in various pieces of equipment. For instance, I had to buy a very small one for 99¢ in order to install nuclear powered, radioactive EXIT signs in a Home Depot.
For the torquing applications, I use a Sears Craftsman 3/8" drive beam type torque wrench. It is not too hard to find the smaller size of Allen sockets. But you want long sockets for instance in transformer installations. What I did is get the cheap, long L wrenches and a six point, el cheapo, 3/8" drive socket, cut off the long arm and epoxy it into the socket. It is surprising how much the extra handle length of the torque wrench helps.
What are the recommended torque vales of bolts?
~Peter

#42830 - 09/27/04 04:11 PM Re: Hex key wrenches
trekkie76 Offline

Loc: baileyville, maine, usa
the manufacturer would have the torque specs for the individual bolts. Not all bolts are the same, as far as grade and material.

#42831 - 09/28/04 02:07 AM Re: Hex key wrenches
pauluk Offline

Loc: Norfolk, England
Welcome to the forum Tool Man.

I have about three sets of Allen keys, although I use mostly the smaller sizes in my work on old radio and electronic equipment.

They tend not to be needed much here in England for normal residential electrical systems, the main exception being the older type of service connector blocks.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals