ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#42745 - 09/25/04 09:55 AM MAY I SUE PLASTIC CONDUIT TO FEED A MAIN SERVICE???
lrsilvas Offline
Loc: PLEASANT HILL , CA
HI, SORRY FOR THE TITLE BUT MUST BE USE INSTEAD OF SUE AND I DID NOT HAVE A WAY TO EDIT, WELL , I AM IN PLEASANT HILL, CA 945423 AND I ALWAYS INSTALL THE FEED WIRES FROM THE ELECTRIC UTILITY SUPPLIER THROUGH A RIDGID CONDUIT PIPE OF 2 INCES WITH A 200 AMPS . BUT I FOUND IN A HOUSE OF A FRIEND THAT AN ELECTRICIAN JUST PUT THIS FEED WIRES WITH A SCHEDULE 40 PLASTIC PIPE .
THIS IS A PROVISIONAL POWER WHILE THE HOUSE IS ON CONSTRUCTION BUT I AM NOT SURE IF HE CAN DO THAT BECAUSE IF A TRUCK OR CONCRETE TRUCK OR WHATEVER HITS THE POLE , WOULD BE A BIG DEAL, LET ME KNOW THANKS

LUIS SILVA SANTISTEBAN

(Company Name and Contact info removed)

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 09-26-2004).]
925 705 0856
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
#42746 - 09/25/04 09:58 AM Re: MAY I SUE PLASTIC CONDUIT TO FEED A MAIN SERVICE???
SolarPowered Offline
Loc: Palo Alto, CA, USA
You can pretty much sue anybody you want to. Whether you can prevail at trial in another question altogether.
#42747 - 09/25/04 10:47 AM Re: MAY I SUE PLASTIC CONDUIT TO FEED A MAIN SERVICE???
Bjarney Offline
Loc: West-Southern Inner-Northeast ...

If this is a temporary electric service, typcially the serving utility {PG&E?} will specify minimum overhead service-riser and underground service-lateral requirements—as long as code minimums {possibly with local amendments} are met.

I believe that non-metallic raceway for the application has been generally recognized acceptable in your region for a could of decades.

You may find applicable drawings and specs at www.pge.com
#42748 - 09/25/04 10:50 AM Re: MAY I SUE PLASTIC CONDUIT TO FEED A MAIN SERVICE???
OreElect Offline
Loc: Salem,Oregon.USA
Arround here if it has to do with utility,you go by there requirements.We have PGE,PPL & Salem Electric.Each There requirements alot of the time are different.Especially with the rednecks at Pacific Power.
#42749 - 09/25/04 11:08 AM Re: MAY I SUE PLASTIC CONDUIT TO FEED A MAIN SERVICE???
caselec Offline
Loc: San Jose, CA
If this is an overhead PG&E service, non-metallic conduit is the preferred method. If you use metal conduit you are required to cover it with plastic U-channel or 1 ½” thick wood. If this is an underground service rigid metal conduit or sch 80 PVC is required.

Customer Owned Pole Requirements
#42750 - 09/26/04 09:30 AM Re: MAY I SUE PLASTIC CONDUIT TO FEED A MAIN SERVICE???
lrsilvas Offline
Loc: PLEASANT HILL , CA
Thanks for the reply, and especially to caselec for the information, other guys, i appreciate your interes and help
Good luck
Luis
925 705 0856

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 44 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN, Regitest2

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals