ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#42630 09/23/04 11:11 PM
D
Dave55 Offline OP
Excuse me while I rant...I ordered some commercial MH lighting from Ruud Lighting, who has good products and great service. They'll deliver to me by truck, or UPS. Like a fool I told them UPS, so it would be waiting by the door when I got home from work (in my dreams).

UPS must have delivered it to my roof and let it roll off, because there was crushed boxes, bent metal, and broken plastic lenses. About half of the order was damaged. I called Ruud and said I really wanted to return the whole order, rather than install what looked good and waste my time replacing it later. I also ordered another dozen lights.

To their credit, they replaced the whole order. From now on I'll take it by truck.

Dave

Dave:
I have to agree with you 100% about UPS!

I've been a RUUD customer since 1987, and UPS has become brutal in the last few years. It's a shame that a quality item, packaged in a quality manner can be destroyed in transit. The cost of damages must be staggering lately.

24 1000 watt MH sports bulbs arrived...4 cases, overpacked in an outer bax, with about 1" of dead space on all sides....yes, 23 of the bulbs were destroyed!!

CF wallpack fixtures, 6 pcs, 1 box, packaged very well, polycarb lenses; the lenses survived, the interior components of the fixtures, and yes the bulbs were destroyed.

A while back, I had two 45' poles, they shipped by a trucking co, other than Allstates (who are great with poles). The poles arrived in a shipping container looking like they were dragged from Wisconsin to NJ. Two replacements arrived within a few days. The funny part about this is I received a phone call from a guy in St Croix, US Virgin Islands about 6 weeks later asking me why 2 poles were in the "empty" container that was dropped at his location??? I guess they are in the ocean somewhere now??

I'm going to try FedEx ground for the next order if it's available...

John

[This message has been edited by HotLine1 (edited 09-24-2004).]

John
Tom Offline
I think Ruud is already making the move to FedEx ground service. I needed one fixture to match a previous outdoor installation & it was shipped in FedEx last week.

Ruud has one of the best customer service departments I've ever dealt with, you never get an arguement from them & if you really need that bad part replaced under warranty they will ship it overnight if need be.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
B
I work in the shipping business (alright,Post Office). My impression is that UPS has always catered to the shipper and made it as easy as possible for them. They never seemed to care about the reciever so what you got was usually abused by the time it hit (literally) your door. Everything worked fine for a while but the recievers are now telling their suppliers they won't accept UPS deliveries so Brown may have to change the way they do business.
I personally have gone thru several "bad experiences" with UPS. If they don't ship Post Office, I always choose FedEx now.

D
Dave55 Offline OP
I think it's a turn-around from how USPS and UPS were in the 1970s. I was getting care packages from my mother while I was in school. If she sent them UPS the cookies arrived whole, by USPS they were crumbs.

I have a customer in the handmade candy business who only uses USPS now. I'm not sure FedEx is much better.

Dave

Dave

Link Copied to Clipboard