ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#41213 - 08/18/04 11:16 AM getting my foot in the door...
dwayne Offline
Loc: Vancouver
Hello, I am living in Vancouver BC and I am going through a career transition. I am 32 yrs old and I am very interested in becoming an electrician. I hear that there is lots of work right now but I am having a hard time getting started with no experience. I looked into training and it is waitlisted until 2006. (BCIT,College of FV)

Does anyone know of a way to get some experience or training which would be valuable in securing an apprenticeship?
#41214 - 08/18/04 01:12 PM Re: getting my foot in the door...
earlydean Offline
Loc: Griswold, CT, USA
Ask around with your local contractors. If anyone can use a laborer, you're their man. You could do things like stock trucks and shelves, clean up the job site, unload trucks, etc. The work would allow you to become familiar with the items and conditions, plus get a foot in the door come time to hire.

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 54 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 51
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 17
Trumpy 16
Ruben Rocha 13

Newest Members
clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN, Regitest2, sureshazhagai

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals