by Texas_Ranger
Today at 08:24 AM
Son of Sparky
by HotLine1
10/20/16 07:43 PM
Speaking of Plugmold ...
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:37 PM
Broken battery charger? Check for cobwebs!
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:30 PM
230 or 345 kV transmission lines?
by annemarie1
10/12/16 01:23 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 11
renosteinke 6
HotLine1 6
ghost307 5
Potseal 4
Who's Online
0 registered (), 198 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3987 - 09/04/01 02:28 PM need GFCI help
ArtO Offline

Loc: Douglasville, GA
I am a fairly experienced do-it-yourselfer who can't tackle a recent electrical problem in my 7 yr. old house. 2 GFCI outlets (one in each bathroom) have tripped and will not work. I don't know when they tripped and why (I just came home one day and both didn't work). I checked their wiring and replaced both outlets but the problem is still there.

I went into the attic where the wires are and noticed an attic exhaust fan 'patched' into the circuit between the two outlets. It's attached through a plastic junction box. I checked all that wiring as well and everything seems OK. To isole the problem, I removed the fan from the circuit and reconnecetd the wires in the junction box... and both GFCI outlets still don't work.

I need help! (also, should I permanently remove the fan from that circuit and run a new one to the circuit breaker panel?)

Thank you.

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#3988 - 09/04/01 03:57 PM Re: need GFCI help
sparky Offline

you must find a good tester and detremine were the power is, and is not. As well as the presence of a viable nuetral.

If the fan was off the GFI load side, then it probably needs to remain there due to location, listing of said fan.

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 09-04-2001).]

#3989 - 09/04/01 06:57 PM Re: need GFCI help
Bill Addiss Offline

Loc: NY, USA

It sounds like you should call an Electrician. There may be something simple that you are overlooking. An experienced electrician may pick it up right away.

One thing I would try is to check every GFI in the House (Reset buttons) if that is not the problem do yourself a favor and call a Licensed Electrician.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals