by Tjia1981
10/23/16 12:08 PM
Son of Sparky
by HotLine1
10/20/16 07:43 PM
Speaking of Plugmold ...
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:37 PM
Broken battery charger? Check for cobwebs!
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:30 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 14
HotLine1 7
ghost307 7
renosteinke 6
Potseal 4
Who's Online
0 registered (), 291 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#39647 - 06/27/04 01:51 PM Ridgid pipe vise
Merlin Offline

Loc: NW Indiana
I recently inherited several tools from my great uncle who was an electrician for many years. One of the items was a ridgid 450 pipe vise.

My question is: toward the edge of the top of this tripod is a "threaded shaft" with a t-handle that threads up from the bottom. What is this used for?

Also, there are 3 holes that appear to be for bending pipe. Are these just for thinwall or how does this work.

Thanks for any input.

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#39648 - 06/27/04 02:14 PM Re: Ridgid pipe vise
iwire Offline

Loc: North Attleboro, MA USA
I have never tried the bending holes at least that's what I think they are for also.

The threaded bolt I have used a a hold down, I do not know if that is what it is for, but it works good.

Cut a piece of 3/4" or 1" rigid to fit between this bolt and the 'ceiling' (A beam, the metal decking of the above floor etc.) then tighten the bolt, it pushes the vice firmly to the floor. The bolt is off to the side enough to be out of the way.

Most times I do not do this, but occasionally I have and it keeps the vice from tipping when you have 10' of 2" GRC sticking out the back.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician

#39649 - 06/27/04 05:24 PM Re: Ridgid pipe vise
mvpmaintman Offline

Loc: Manhattan, Kansas, USA
Bingo-the screw is a hold down, and the holes are for bending ridgid pipe or IMC. The two slots are for hanging tools like a reamer or a pipe threader handle.

I have several of my grandfathers tools including some original Stillson wrenches with the wooden handles. Old tools are a real favorite of mine and I travel around to farm auctions here in the summer whenever I get a chance.

#39650 - 06/28/04 07:52 AM Re: Ridgid pipe vise
Bill39 Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
The threaded shaft is so you can put a pipe vertically up to the ceiling, tighten it (extend it up) and this holds the vise in place (3/4" pipe is used, I think).

The other slots are used to bend a pipe slightly, maybe just take a dogleg out of an offset. You'll break the vise if you put too much pressure on it while bending a pipe.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals