by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
Earthquake in New Zeeland
by RODALCO
11/27/16 11:25 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by Tjia1981
11/27/16 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 15
HotLine1 10
Trumpy 8
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Who's Online
0 registered (), 215 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#38773 - 06/01/04 03:42 PM Doorbell extension
Belgariad Offline

Loc: Linwood, NC, United States
Gentlemen, I have had several customers request doorbell chimes in remote locations on their property, i.e. patios, garages, decks, and outbuildings. I have seen ads for units that use a transmitter hooked to the current chime and a remote receiver. Have any of you had success with such a unit? Or can recommend what type of equipment to use? It looks a great deal simpler than trying to fish new bell wire through existing walls. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also wanted to let everyone know how much I enjoy reading your post. I feel that this website and the great contributions everyone makes has given me a lot of insights and made me a better electrician.

Thanks,

Steve

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#38774 - 06/01/04 04:16 PM Re: Doorbell extension
NJwirenut Offline

Loc: Bergen County, NJ
They make such a "repeater" unit as a commercial product now? That makes things convenient! I did a similar installation several years ago, and used a small "ice cube" relay wired to the existing bell, operating a standard "push button" type wireless doorbell transmitter with the button removed and wired to the relay contacts.

The wireless bells (at least the NuTone ones I have used) work very reliably, in my experience, but the downside is the need for occasional battery replacements. Homeowners aren't used to replacing batteries in doorbells anymore (ever found one that still used the old #6 dry cells? ), and I have received a few calls that were resolved by a simple battery replacement. The battery in the transmitter is somewhat unusual, being a lithium type often used in RF car alarm transmitters.

#38775 - 06/02/04 11:10 AM Re: Doorbell extension
classicsat Offline

IME such remote transmitters use MN23 alcaline batteries. They are available at many home centers and electronic stores..

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals