The Electrical Contractor Network

ECN Electrical Forum
Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

   
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#38058 - 05/14/04 11:57 AM Workers in Maine ignore Electrical lines???
walrus Offline
Member
Registered: 07/25/02
Posts: 671
Loc: Bangor Me. USA
2 guys who ignored their surrondings, 1 payed dearly with his life.
Both these stories came from www.bangornews.com



By Walter Griffin, Of the NEWS Staff e-mail Walter
Last updated: Wednesday, May 12, 2004
Contractor, 29, electrocuted in Thorndike

THORNDIKE - A Morrill man was electrocuted Tuesday when a piece of metal roofing he was working with came into contact with electrical service wires connected to a building.Allen Chasse, 29, was dead after being rushed to Waldo County General Hospital in Belfast after the 11:16 a.m. incident in Thorndike village.


Waldo County Chief Deputy Robert Keating said Chasse and another man, Lawrence "Larry" Doolan, 32, also of Morrill, were working on the roof of a Gordon Hill Road building owned by Joe Benjamin of Morrill. The 21/2-story wood-frame building has an unoccupied store on the ground floor and two apartments above.

Keating said the two independent contractors were working on the metal roof when "apparently a piece of metal roofing Mr. Chasse was holding came in contact with the wires" leading to the building.

The electric shock knocked Chasse off the building. Chasse still was clutching a pair of tinsnips when he hit the ground. A woman who lives in one of the apartments told Deputy Ben Seekins that she heard a noise and observed Chasse fall from the roof, Keating said.

Keating said the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration has been notified, as was the State Medical Examiner's Office.





By Leanne Robicheau, Of the NEWS Staff e-mail Leanne
Last updated: Thursday, May 13, 2004
Quebec man injured when crane hits wires

MORRILL - A Quebec man holding a crane cable was injured Wednesday at a construction site when the boom of a crane touched overhead wires.Fabien Gilbert, 41, of St. Rene, Quebec, was in fair condition at Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor, a spokeswoman said Wednesday evening. He is employed by Profab Homes of Vallee-Jonction, Quebec.


Immediately after the accident, Profab coworker Richard Deness administered CPR, and within 30 seconds Gilbert was breathing and his heart was beating on its own, Waldo County Chief Deputy Bob Keating said Wednesday.

When Gilbert was taken by Belfast Ambulance to Waldo County General Hospital, he was breathing and conscious, Keating said. Gilbert later was flown to the Bangor hospital.

The accident occurred about 10:30 a.m. on Poors Mill Road. A modular home manufactured by Profab and sold locally by Castle Homes LLC was being set on a foundation by Arthur D. Henry Crane Service of Thomaston, Keating said.

Crane operator William LaRose of Thomaston had finished setting the last section of the home and was "booming back to get the cables out," when the boom hit Central Maine Power wires, Keating said.

Initially, the investigation was made difficult by the fact that most of the Profab workers do not speak English, Keating pointed out. Belfast Area High School French teacher Lila Nation was contacted and quickly responded, he said.

The first deputy to arrive was Merl Reed, who was assisted by Keating.

CMP and its safety team, as well as the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration, were notified, Keating said.
Top
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
#38059 - 05/14/04 01:48 PM Re: Workers in Maine ignore Electrical lines???
Kobuchi Offline
Member
Registered: 11/12/02
Posts: 12
Loc: Vancouver, Canada
I can see a gust of wind picking up that sheet of roofing, and the guy on the ladder trying to wrestle it from chopping down on somebody below. I'd do the same, and I wouldn't have time to let go as it swung into the line.

The crane accident seems like sheer recklessness, but at least something went right:
"Profab coworker Richard Deness administered CPR, and within 30 seconds Gilbert was breathing and his heart was beating"
Top

Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Recent Posts
License exam
by TRUE POWER
Today at 09:16 PM
Looking for older post
by sparkyinak
Today at 12:27 AM
Members: Non-Members: Did you know?
by Admin
Yesterday at 02:34 PM
Safety at heights?
by HotLine1
01/21/17 08:51 PM
International Wire Colour Codes
by Texas_Ranger
01/21/17 03:29 PM

Who's Online
1 registered (Admin), 74 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
New in the Gallery:
Desk-mounted "power-board"
Top Posters
gfretwell 9066
Trumpy 8560
pauluk 7693
HotLine1 6833
sparky 5545
Member Spotlight
Member Since: 03/13/07
Posts: 167

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals