Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Industrail Control Panel bonding per 409.108
by sparkyinak
Yesterday at 06:29 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
12/07/16 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
12/06/16 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 10
sparkyinak 9
Texas_Ranger 8
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 184 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#37658 - 05/01/04 06:50 PM Expanding Foam Insulation?
caselec Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
Soon we are going to be wiring a new 6000 sq. ft. home and today the owner told me he was going to use expanding foam insulation for the walls and ceilings. I have seen this used on This Old House but have never seen it used in my area other than to fill small holes and cracks. If any of the members here are experienced with this I would like know if there is any thing we need to watch out for when installing the rough. There are approximately 150-200 IC rated recessed lights but I guess since they are IC rated it is ok to completely encapsulate them with the foam. We normally use single gang switch rings for the voice/data/tv but I guess we will need to use 4sq or 4 11/16 boxes or it will be pretty hard stuffing the wires in the wall. Any advice would be appreciated.

Curt

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#37659 - 05/01/04 09:02 PM Re: Expanding Foam Insulation?
DougW Offline

Loc: North Chicago, IL
Are your conductors Romex or in raceways? If they're the former, ya better have everything in there prior to the foam-in, and if it's raceways, you might want to "pre plan" any expansion for future potential (ceiling fans and the like), cause there ain't no fishin' in a foamed wall.

(BTW, I'm not sure if you'd have to derate for a complete encapsulation... somebody call Joe Tedesco!)

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals