ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 258 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mj Offline OP
I have a set of plans that require an equipment grounding conductor to be connected to all metal boxes. How many of you guys pigtail to each metal box in a system? is it not true that the metal to metal conduit connection should be enough ?

J
I ground every box. Yes the pipe would cover you code wise but the conductor is a back up.

C
I almost always install an equipment ground wire in metal raceways. By the way your worded your question I'm not sure if you asking about installing the wire or connecting the wire to the boxes if it is installed. 250.148 requires the equipment ground wire to be connected to any metal boxes that the circuit conductors are spliced in.

Curt Swartz
J
You need a pigtail when the receptacle is not self-grounding. I have yet to see a GFI that is. A self-grounding receptacle has a clip or spring that tightens the connection between the yoke and the screw.

R
I check for it during inspection. I ask for all the boxes to be bonded.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
C
OOPS……..Last night when I posted I was just clicking on the updated topics but didn’t read the title. This morning I see that the title of this post is about 250.148. Back to first grade reading class for me.

Curt

[This message has been edited by caselec (edited 04-16-2004).]

Curt Swartz
D
Almost fell for this (lazy bone) - had a metal j-box inbetween 2 runs of NM. It was out of the way, almost just tied the 2 grounding wires together withou attaching to the box.

But then I thought...[size4]WWJTD?[/size]
What Would Joe Tedesco Do?

I pigtailed.

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 04-16-2004).]

F
i will ground every metal box both pigtailed and run the grounding conductor as back up in case the conduct get loosen up [ which i see it happend from time to time].

before i get way off the point here let you know the 4X4X21/8 box i use is Raco #244 .,,, if some of you are famiur with it i will say that work the best for surface mounted area escpally the cement wall types [ it have raised ground screw in one corner of box ] .,,,

sorry for change the subject for a min

merci, marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

R
code is code but you stated that the prints calledfor a separate ground wire. anytime i see the print or a spec for a job which calls for the installation to go beyond what the code requires thats what i install.

D
Frenchelectrician's post got me thinking...

Is it just me, or are almost all of the 1900's/4"x4" J boxes now are the "cement wall" type, with the raised area for a grounding screw?

I haven't seen a flat backed one in a while now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard