ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
Redsy Offline OP
Do you seal your own roof penetrations?
If so, how is it best done?

Thanks.

L
LK Offline
After many years of out of pocket money, and almost losing our insurance, we let the roofing contractor do the penetrations and close, no more legal claims.
Our insurance company told us if we did roof penetrations they would not accept us as insured. Most claims are paid and closed, however, with roof penetrations the claim can go on for years. What you may think you are saving by doing it yourself, may cost you your business.
The retail store, where we are working this week, has a claim with the AC contractor for $60,000 damage, due to a penetration leak.
The owner paid the additional $400 to have the roofer do the job, but the AC guys figured they would save money by doing it.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 04-06-2004).]

J
I'm used to the owner insisting that the roofer do it to keep the warranty. - for commercial work.

What kind of roof are you talking about?
residential, asphalt, cedar shake, slate, metal?
commercial asphalt, rubber, membrane, metal?

L
LK Offline
Jps,
As you said, the commercial customers will not risk the loss, the residential customers can and do hit you for claims even years after the installation. The Fans only installer in my area had over 150,000 in claims from residential vent installs he did, he went broke and is out of business.
We tell the customer to have the roofer install the housing, and we will wire it.

C
Some of the towns around me have absolutely required a licensed roofing contractor to seal penetrations when they show up on prints. I will use a roofer when the penetrations are at deck level, but not for pre-existing EZ curbs(the rubber ones w/concentric sleeve-things). It's hard enough on liability for electrical without worrying about water damage. I don't mind giving that hassle away, how many times does water show up exactly where the leak is? How long can it take to confirm to be sure that YOUR penetration is the one leaking?

Link Copied to Clipboard