ECN Electrical Forum
Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3573 - 08/21/01 10:59 PM Re: Essential tools and nice to have tools of trade
Paul Offline
Loc: Champlin, MN, USA
I am just getting into the constr. electrician trade and would like a veteran's view on essential tools and "Nice to have tools". Reason: I currently have a cleaning business that services an account that sells tools to this trade. (wholesale or below for me) Thanks Paul
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
#3574 - 08/22/01 02:25 PM Re: Re: Essential tools and nice to have tools of trade
Tom Offline
Loc: Shinnston, WV USA
Jeez, the list could go on forever.

One essential tool (for me at least) is a battery powered drill. Keep in mind that you might be wearing this on your hip all day before purchasing. My own drill is 12 volt & I don't want to drag around anything heavier.
#3575 - 08/22/01 03:43 PM Re: Re: Essential tools and nice to have tools of trade
Bill Addiss Offline
Loc: NY, USA
Paul,

My #1 All-time favorite tool is a proximity tester (Volt-Tick, etc.) You can test for power just by holding it near a wire.

#2 is my Circuit Tracer. Lets you trace a circuit in different ways, including within floors and walls and underground.

#3 would be my cordless drill.

#4 Studfinder

#5 Rotozip

Wish List: - Laser Level

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 08-22-2001).]
#3576 - 08/22/01 04:11 PM Re: Re: Essential tools and nice to have tools of trade
sparky Offline
Paul;
think 3 basic catagories;
1) hand tools
2) meters and testers
3) power tools

1) get a few catalogs, or even ask a supply house for thier best sellers, sometimes you'll see a fully stocked tool belt.
Get a comfortable tool belt, as you will most likley assume the position of a pack mule in heat after 6-8 hrs a day should you not.
2) a volt-tic, VOM, amprobe, megger, impedance tester, circuit tracer, not necessarilly in that order
3)big drill-right angle , sawzall, unibits, hole punch kits,just to start off......this is the biggest list & never really ends

Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Recent Posts
Forum Styles
by Admin
Today at 02:08 AM
License exam
by TRUE POWER
Yesterday at 09:16 PM
Looking for older post
by sparkyinak
Yesterday at 12:27 AM
Members: Non-Members: Did you know?
by Admin
01/22/17 02:34 PM
Safety at heights?
by HotLine1
01/21/17 08:51 PM

Who's Online
0 registered (), 79 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
New in the Gallery:
Desk-mounted "power-board"
Top Posters
gfretwell 9066
Trumpy 8560
pauluk 7693
HotLine1 6833
sparky 5545
Member Spotlight

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals