ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#33475 - 01/22/04 02:57 PM Starting a Business
ajmelectric Offline
Loc: West, Springfield, MA USA
Hi Everyone...I'm looking for some advice on venturing out on my own in residential/commercial work. I do Industrial/Commercial electrical work right now and I have been doing residential (side jobs) for a while. I feel my biggest concern is the health insurance. (any ideas?) I do have a family. Any tips on getting started would be very greatly appreciated. Thanks

Angelo
#33476 - 01/22/04 03:43 PM Re: Starting a Business
straightedge Offline
Loc: Mesa, AZ
Yea,
Don't buy a new vehicle with a high monthly payment. Get a cheap vehicle for about $2,000 to $3,000 and you will have peace of mind.
#33477 - 01/22/04 04:00 PM Re: Starting a Business
Bill Addiss Offline
Loc: NY, USA
Other side of the coin is that a newer vehicle may be more dependable (knock wood) and therefore more productive. But, it's not a good idea to saddle yourself with a lot of debt right off.

I drove a Bucket of Bolts for many years and never knew where or when I'd have to cancel a job and come home on the hook. Buying a New Truck was one of the best moves I made. It was always ready to go when I was therefore I could do more calls. I wasn't apprehensive about taking it out at night and it presented a better image to customers too.

Bill

P.S. Welcome to ECN!

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 01-22-2004).]
#33478 - 01/22/04 04:03 PM Re: Starting a Business
sparky Offline
Expect to be the most popular electrician as the 'new kid on the block' for all those shaddy GC's that have blown through everyone else

Cynicism can be a prudent attribute Angelo

good luck...

~S~

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
KrmtFrg, Stack, Scotto, Freecrowder, clee512

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals