ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#32851 - 01/04/04 01:56 PM Subpanel Calculation
Nebraska Offline
Loc: Grand Island, NE, USA
I recently added a sub panel to my house It contains 3 15 amp breakers, 2 15 amp tandem breakers, 1 20 amp breaker and 1 2 pole 30 amp breaker for a water heater, all the 15's and the 20 are for general purpose receps. How do you calculate the size of breaker to put this sub panel on. Taking 80% of all the breakers added together just doesn't seem right, maybe it is though. Please help me. Thank you.
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
#32852 - 01/04/04 02:16 PM Re: Subpanel Calculation
earlydean Offline
Loc: Griswold, CT, USA
You got the cart before the horse. First, you compute the combined loads, using diversity factors allowed by the NEC. Second, you choose a panel of a size adequate for the loads just computed. Third, you choose a feeder of ample size. Fourth, you choose a circuit breaker sized to protect the feeder and panel.

Or, take the shortcut: size the breaker for the size of the new panel (usually 100 or 60 Amps)and feed with 100 or 60 Amp wires.

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 53 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Scotto, Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals