ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 266 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#32652 12/30/03 08:02 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
does not excite me...i always have wads of it to do , and would gladly go on any given service call to get out of it...

however, just when you may think you'll never see your desk again, a paper challenged individual comes along to make our matters trivial...

Man Trapped Under Books, Papers Rescued

NEW YORK (AP) -- A man who says he sells books and magazines on the street was rescued after being trapped for two days under a mountain of reading material in his apartment.

Patrice Moore, 43, had apparently been standing up when the books, catalogs, mail and newspapers swamped him on Saturday. Firefighters and neighbors rescued Moore on Monday afternoon and he was hospitalized in stable condition Tuesday morning with leg injuries.

"I didn't think I was gonna get out," Moore told the New York Post, adding that he called for help repeatedly.

His landlord discovered him Monday after coming to the apartment to give Moore a small loan and heard a strange voice inside. The landlord pried the door open with a crowbar, found Moore trapped and alerted the fire department.

The apartment was stuffed from wall to wall and floor to ceiling with stacks of paper.

Emergency workers and neighbors dug through the debris to reach Moore, filling 50 garbage bags with paper. He was freed about a half hour later, said Fire Department spokesman Paul Iannizzotto.

Moore, a former mailroom clerk now receiving public assistance, said he collected books and magazines for more than 10 years and earned money by selling them on the street.

The incident recalled the legendary case of the Collyer brothers, who in 1947 were discovered dead in their house in Harlem after one of them became trapped under a pile of papers and the other died of starvation.

Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

#32653 12/30/03 08:21 PM
I
Just about 1 hour ago I saw that apartment on the news.

I would not want to be living under him, paper stacked to the ceiling.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#32654 12/31/03 08:03 AM
P
And I thought that I had quite a lot of books......

Link Copied to Clipboard