The Electrical Contractor Network

ECN Electrical Forum
Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#32514 - 12/25/03 12:38 PM Continuing education for you?
Edward Offline
Loc: California
How do you keep yourself educated in the electrical field?
Do you take refresher courses?

Code, Trade, techniques, theory...

Edward
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
#32515 - 12/25/03 07:52 PM Re: Continuing education for you?
Speedy Petey Offline
Loc: Upstate, NY
I keep my nose in the code book as much as possible and I come to sites like this. Just reading everyone else's posts and discussions is a great way to keep on top of things I may have forgotten and opens my eyes to things I may have never considered.

Maybe in a small way I can help someone else out in the process.

[This message has been edited by Speedy Petey (edited 12-25-2003).]

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
#32516 - 12/25/03 08:28 PM Re: Continuing education for you?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just reading everyone else's posts and discussions is a great way to keep on top of things I may have forgotten and opens my eyes to things I may have never considered

That's it for me. Every post I read if I am not 100% familiar with the code section I will look it up. It's the best way for me to stay on top of it and it's easy, not boring and best of all it's free! Sure beats stupida** tv shows. Can you imagine if some of the great minds like Einstein and Franklin and Edison had the Internet???
I feel as if I have access to minds as great as those just on these forums.
Brian
#32517 - 12/26/03 03:58 AM Re: Continuing education for you?
walrus Offline
Loc: Bangor Me. USA
In Maine, everytime a new code book comes out(every 3 years) you have to take a 15 hr refresher course on the code. I generally go to one taught by a state AHJ. Its pretty tough to sit there for 8 hrs on 2 consecutive days but you do learn some stuff as he covers all the changes from last version of code.
#32518 - 12/26/03 06:15 AM Re: Continuing education for you?
PCBelarge Offline
Loc: Dobbs Ferry, NY, USA
I also like the forum type discussions, as they do give a 'country wide' aspect as to wiring, which has been a real eye opener. I also take about 4 or 5 different type of classes a year offered by the NFPA and IAEI. There are local classes set up and I take them as well. I spend an average of two weeks in some kind of class a year - with the classes and the forums, one day I may have a chance of understanding some of this stuff
I also have purchased about 30 books from these sites and they also help as ready reference. The magazines that are available are another source - with most being free. And of course the endless source of the internet - except you need to be more careful of the information in some sites.

Pierre
#32519 - 12/26/03 07:59 AM Re: Continuing education for you?
harold endean Offline
Loc: Boonton, NJ
Here in NJ you use to have to take a 10 hour refresher course every three years. This year they changed that to 34 hours. ( I believe)I heard something about the AHJ's with licenses being able to "shelve" their license because we aren't doing electrical contracting anymore. As an AHJ I still need several CEU's for my different inspectors license.
#32520 - 12/26/03 01:04 PM Re: Continuing education for you?
golf junkie Offline
Loc: York, NE
Nebraska requires 12 CEU every two years for license renewal. It's a good rule, unfortunately it's the only time I get away for continuing education.

Websites like this one are a valuble learning tool and much more accessible than the classroom.

GJ
#32521 - 12/26/03 09:27 PM Re: Continuing education for you?
Edward Offline
Loc: California
Anyone knows of a refresher course in California?

I think that is a great idea. Besides reading the code, trade magazines, discussion forums, text books...

Edward

Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Recent Posts
Forum Styles
by Admin
Today at 02:08 AM
License exam
by TRUE POWER
Yesterday at 09:16 PM
Looking for older post
by sparkyinak
Yesterday at 12:27 AM
Members: Non-Members: Did you know?
by Admin
01/22/17 02:34 PM
Safety at heights?
by HotLine1
01/21/17 08:51 PM

Who's Online
0 registered (), 79 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
New in the Gallery:
Desk-mounted "power-board"
Top Posters
gfretwell 9066
Trumpy 8560
pauluk 7693
HotLine1 6833
sparky 5545
Member Spotlight

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals