Switch Bit - Interchangeable Flex Bit System
>> Switch Bit -
Interchangeable Flex Bit System

>> 2014 NEC and Related

Recent Posts
*** MERRY CHRISTMAS ***
by gfretwell
Today at 09:09 AM
service grounding for two attached buildings?
by HotLine1
Yesterday at 08:16 AM
Single Pole Control Switch On 240-v Motor
by gfretwell
12/24/14 06:17 PM
Ground bushings
by Scott35
12/24/14 11:12 AM
RFI/EMI RF Filter
by LarryC
12/23/14 07:17 PM
New in the Gallery:
Another find....
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 25
HotLine1 22
Meadow 18
dsk 16
renosteinke 15
Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#32514 - 12/25/03 12:38 PM Continuing education for you?
Edward Offline

Loc: California
How do you keep yourself educated in the electrical field?
Do you take refresher courses?

Code, Trade, techniques, theory...

Edward

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#32515 - 12/25/03 07:52 PM Re: Continuing education for you?
Speedy Petey Offline

Loc: Upstate, NY
I keep my nose in the code book as much as possible and I come to sites like this. Just reading everyone else's posts and discussions is a great way to keep on top of things I may have forgotten and opens my eyes to things I may have never considered.

Maybe in a small way I can help someone else out in the process.

[This message has been edited by Speedy Petey (edited 12-25-2003).]

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein

#32516 - 12/25/03 08:28 PM Re: Continuing education for you?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just reading everyone else's posts and discussions is a great way to keep on top of things I may have forgotten and opens my eyes to things I may have never considered

That's it for me. Every post I read if I am not 100% familiar with the code section I will look it up. It's the best way for me to stay on top of it and it's easy, not boring and best of all it's free! Sure beats stupida** tv shows. Can you imagine if some of the great minds like Einstein and Franklin and Edison had the Internet???
I feel as if I have access to minds as great as those just on these forums.
Brian

#32517 - 12/26/03 03:58 AM Re: Continuing education for you?
walrus Offline

Loc: Bangor Me. USA
In Maine, everytime a new code book comes out(every 3 years) you have to take a 15 hr refresher course on the code. I generally go to one taught by a state AHJ. Its pretty tough to sit there for 8 hrs on 2 consecutive days but you do learn some stuff as he covers all the changes from last version of code.

#32518 - 12/26/03 06:15 AM Re: Continuing education for you?
PCBelarge Offline

Loc: Dobbs Ferry, NY, USA
I also like the forum type discussions, as they do give a 'country wide' aspect as to wiring, which has been a real eye opener. I also take about 4 or 5 different type of classes a year offered by the NFPA and IAEI. There are local classes set up and I take them as well. I spend an average of two weeks in some kind of class a year - with the classes and the forums, one day I may have a chance of understanding some of this stuff
I also have purchased about 30 books from these sites and they also help as ready reference. The magazines that are available are another source - with most being free. And of course the endless source of the internet - except you need to be more careful of the information in some sites.

Pierre

#32519 - 12/26/03 07:59 AM Re: Continuing education for you?
harold endean Offline

Loc: Boonton, NJ
Here in NJ you use to have to take a 10 hour refresher course every three years. This year they changed that to 34 hours. ( I believe)I heard something about the AHJ's with licenses being able to "shelve" their license because we aren't doing electrical contracting anymore. As an AHJ I still need several CEU's for my different inspectors license.

#32520 - 12/26/03 01:04 PM Re: Continuing education for you?
golf junkie Offline

Loc: York, NE
Nebraska requires 12 CEU every two years for license renewal. It's a good rule, unfortunately it's the only time I get away for continuing education.

Websites like this one are a valuble learning tool and much more accessible than the classroom.

GJ

#32521 - 12/26/03 09:27 PM Re: Continuing education for you?
Edward Offline

Loc: California
Anyone knows of a refresher course in California?

I think that is a great idea. Besides reading the code, trade magazines, discussion forums, text books...

Edward

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals