ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#32286 12/20/03 12:09 PM
G
When you are working with CMU construction with the conduit in the wall, how much time do you expect to spend with the bricklayers?

I lay out all opening clearly on the bottom course or footing. We assemble the boxes with 3' conduit stubs, etc.

I can't place the boxes for them. Yet it seems that they expect someone onsite at all times. Usually at this stage of the project there is not enough other work to be done to stay busy so I end up babysitting the bricklayers.

I just got back from a trip to the jobsite on this beautiful saturday morning and I'll have to go back again this afternoon. Maybe I just need to vent......but over the years bricklayers as a group are the most difficult trade to work with.

GJ

#32287 12/20/03 12:27 PM
W
GJ;
I worked a school, all masonry. Myself against 25 brickies. Like you, I layed it out on the 1st course. Not to mention having to compare E plans to A plans finding many location changes. The masons mostly would only place the box and 1st. extension in block. I had to add all the extensions and make the sweep just right out the joint and into the edge of just one block. If you weren't there they would block right by you. It was tough keeping up with so many masons. I managed to get some help once in a while but mostly just me. I smoothed the masons over by buying them carpenter pencils and masons crayons. It took a while to gain their respect because they have preconceived notions of electricians, they basically hate seeing us. It gives them more to do as most masons are evaluated by the number of blocks they lay a day. I think the toughest part was the gymnasium. Having so many windows in the way, I had to get around them and manage all the stubs from power, lighting, F.A. security, phone and data. I have to say that that was a 2 year project where I never stood still.

[This message has been edited by Wirenuttt (edited 12-20-2003).]

#32288 12/20/03 12:35 PM
I
Two choices for working with brickies in this area.

1)Babysit your work the entire time.

2)Let them go unsupervised and spend a lot of time fixing and repairing.

As much as I hate getting this assignment, isn't it our job to do anyway?

We do not expect carpenters to hang boxes and staple wires.

I think the only choice is to be on the site the whole time.

If the masons are working Saturdays because they are behind we would expect to be compensated of the OT work.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#32289 12/20/03 02:23 PM
T
Here in Europe the course is different. First the masons do whatever they want and then the electricians channel for their conduit and boxes. After the conduit boxes, plumbing ect. is in place the plasterers come and finish the job. I still haven'T managed to figure out how the pros figure out how deep to set the boxes since that widely depends on the plaster thickness. Probably they don't think about it at all, all new construction I've seen has the boxes recessed about 3/8" into the walls, extension rings are unknown here. Probably the sparkies rather set the boxes much too deep than have them protrude from the plaster. Old work usually involves the electrician doing all the plaster patching. (tear up walls for cable/conduit + boxes, fasten them with globs of gypsum, pull wires and then patch up the plaster).

#32290 12/20/03 02:35 PM
G
"It took a while to gain their respect because they have preconceived notions of electricians, they basically hate seeing us."

That is the attitude that I recieve also. Thanks for all the feedback, at least I know it's not just me.

GJ

#32291 12/20/03 06:44 PM
J
Having done many block buildings, with mud boxes, I have always been on site to do the install. It's an easy day and nice to have once in awhile.

#32292 12/20/03 08:49 PM
..Thats what I've had to do...I've actually waited..coarse by coarse until he'd reached the "insertion point" and held it in place while he bricked around it..it's the only way the job won't get mucked up...they dont know any better...

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
#32293 12/20/03 10:29 PM
G
"It's an easy day and nice to have once in awhile"

I spent 4 1/2 hours today watching them lay block. What do you do when your easy day turns into an easy two weeks??

GJ

#32294 12/20/03 10:57 PM
..Thats a hoot,...Kind of reminds me of how the dry-wall guys and the painters look at us....it's like they're thinkin'.."ohhh no,the electric gremlins are here to make a mess..."..."GET OUT..." ala "Amityville Horrors"....

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
#32295 12/20/03 11:10 PM
G
I don't get involved in masonary jobs anymore,unless it's brick on a house or the odd recep or switch in a basement wall.
But I can remember being the designated "mason's helper" on several jobs.

Russell

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard