ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#32172 - 12/16/03 07:07 PM voltage sensors
ds247 Offline
Loc: California
I am in the hvac field and would like a recommendation for non-contact voltage sensor or wandmeter as I have heard it called (the kind that looks like a fat pen). I currently have one that I bought for about 12 dollars at Home Depot but it is unreliable. Can anyone suggest a brand and model that will work reliably, widely available and is reasonably priced? Thanks.
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
#32173 - 12/16/03 07:13 PM Re: voltage sensors
Jim M Offline
Loc: Chestertown, MD, USA
I like the Fluke model. About $17 or so.
#32174 - 12/16/03 07:36 PM Re: voltage sensors
Electric Eagle Offline
Loc: Alpharetta, GA
I've got a greenlee that works pretty good. Several of my guys use one made by Ideal that I like a little better.

All of them will give you false positives from time to time and won't register a positive if the wire is wet or humidity is just right. After a while you learn when to trust it and when not to trust it. They come in handy, but if you're not carefull they'll get you hurt.
#32175 - 12/16/03 07:50 PM Re: voltage sensors
Sandro Offline
Loc: Stoney Creek, ON, Canada
I just picked up a GB version of the 'sniffer'. This one has a sensitivity adjustment which I have found useful. The other one (non adjustable) GB makes had far more false readings. Anybody else have good sucess with this unit?
#32176 - 12/17/03 05:47 AM Re: voltage sensors
Attic Rat Offline
Loc: Bergen Co.,N.J. USA
My guys have the "Fluke" pen model...I still have my "Greenlee" pen, but I don't put all my trust into it...if I'm leery, I drag out my "Etcon" solenoid-type tester...there've been quite a few times that I've gotten false readings, and then I recheck with the solenoid, and there's no voltage present....

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Scotto, Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals