Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Industrail Control Panel bonding per 409.108
by sparkyinak
12/09/16 06:29 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
12/07/16 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
12/06/16 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 10
sparkyinak 9
Texas_Ranger 8
Potseal 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 81 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#304 - 01/13/01 01:10 PM wiring problem
doc Offline

Loc: Texas
any ideas on this,I have a 220 volt single phase panel ,from it a wire runs through a couple of j-boxes down the line there is a j-box with #1 black from breaker #1white grounded conductor # 2 black { maybe on a breaker }From the other direction I have a red wire spliced onto the # 2 black .follow me here I TOOK THE BLACK AND RED APART TO MAKE SURE OF THIS PART with breaker to # 1 wire on the red wire is hot at same time turn breaker off # 1 is dead red wire is dead and # 2 black becomes hot any ideas on how to isolate this and solve problem IF iI turn every breaker off in panal then all wires are dead but I cannot understand how to wires tied together can be hot at different times from a breker in an on and off position

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#305 - 01/13/01 03:29 PM Re: wiring problem
Bill Addiss Offline

Loc: NY, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by doc:
I TOOK THE BLACK AND RED APART TO MAKE SURE OF THIS PART with breaker to # 1 wire on the red wire is hot at same time turn breaker off # 1 is dead red wire is dead and # 2 black becomes hot

Doc,
when you take the black and red apart and #1 breaker is on, did you test the Black wire? Is #2 Black hot also?

#306 - 01/13/01 03:50 PM Re: wiring problem
Alan McNeil Offline

Loc: Buzzards Bay, MA U.S.A.
sounds like you have a splice at some point, the splice is from a different breaker but is on the same phase, rip it out and start over.

#307 - 01/15/01 02:15 PM Re: wiring problem
Alan McNeil Offline

Loc: Buzzards Bay, MA U.S.A.
let me expand on my last reply, it sounds like you have a "back feed" and it is on the same phase,so you don't get a short circuit from line to line. If you cannot trace it out completely and account for every splice I would rip it out and start over.

#308 - 02/09/01 06:21 PM Re: wiring problem
RJBoydEle Offline

Loc: Chrisyiansburg, Va., USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Alan McNeil:
let me expand on my last reply, it sounds like you have a "back feed" and it is on the same phase,so you don't get a short circuit from line to line. If you cannot trace it out completely and account for every splice I would rip it out and start over.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals