The Electrical Contractor Network

ECN Electrical Forum
Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Register Now!

Register Now!

We want your input!


2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Industrail Control Panel bonding per 409.108
by sparkyinak
Yesterday at 03:17 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
12/07/16 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
12/06/16 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 8
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 261 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#30207 - 10/07/03 05:35 PM What type of Crimper?
WiCeltic Offline

Registered: 10/13/01
Posts: 20
Loc: Sheboygan, Wi. USA
If you are going to make a tap connection to the GEC, and it has to be irreversible crimp, what model or type of crimper is used? Is this the same kind that is used in factories to crimp on large sta-kon terminals? We used to do that on large motor leads, when I was doing industrial work. Thanks for any advise.

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#30208 - 10/07/03 07:39 PM Re: What type of Crimper?
ThinkGood Offline

Registered: 08/07/02
Posts: 1084
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
Can't help you with your actual question, but just wanted to find out if folks prefer using Cadweld to crimping?

[This message has been edited by ThinkGood (edited 10-07-2003).]

#30209 - 10/07/03 08:19 PM Re: What type of Crimper?
Bjarney Offline

Registered: 04/10/02
Posts: 2561
Loc: West-Southern Inner-Northeast ...
Mick — Maybe this link will work for "c-taps." I believe smaller connectors can be crimped with T&B TBM5/6/8 crimp tools. I think Burndy and Penn-Union also have similar parts.

#30210 - 10/08/03 12:50 AM Re: What type of Crimper?
iwire Offline

Registered: 01/05/03
Posts: 4343
Loc: North Attleboro, MA USA
Thinkgood, I prefer Cadwelds but for me the shop usually already has the molds and loads, so it is almost a no cost solution.

We have a verity of crimping tools also but I can not resist the chance to use a cadweld, crimping is not as much fun as fire and smoke.

If you have to buy the mold for one use it can be expensive, the same can be said for the crimps, they are cheap but the price of the crimping tool is kind of high if you only need it one time.

I have heard of one use cadwelds but have not used them and I do not know what they cost, but I would think cheaper than either of above.


[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 10-08-2003).]
Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician

#30211 - 10/08/03 04:35 AM Re: What type of Crimper?
Fred Offline

Registered: 04/30/01
Posts: 461
Loc: Straughn, IN 47387
I like the one shots by Erico. They cost less than $5.00.

#30212 - 10/08/03 05:15 AM Re: What type of Crimper?
resqcapt19 Offline

Registered: 11/10/00
Posts: 2209
Loc: IL
The thing that you have to remember about the use of "crimp" type connections is that the connector must be crimped with a tool that has been listed to crimp that connector. In many cases that means that the tool and the connector must be from the same manufacturer.
From the UL Guide for Wire Connectors and Soldering Lugs.
Special Tools- Connectors to be assembled to wire using a special tool are to be assembled using the tool specified by the manufacturer on or in the connector shipping carton. Such tools are identified by appropriate marking.

#30213 - 10/09/03 05:05 AM Re: What type of Crimper?
electure Offline


Registered: 12/24/00
Posts: 4226
Loc: Fullerton, CA USA
A lot of supply houses have crimpers and dies that they will loan to you when you buy connectors from them.
As iwire said, Cadwelds are so much more fun. Just don't set one off with your boot below it ...S

#30214 - 10/14/03 04:40 PM Re: What type of Crimper?
John Steinke Offline

Registered: 04/03/01
Posts: 509
Loc: Reno,Nv., USA
The guy who sells the connectors should be able to rent you a crimper- with the right dies!


ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals