by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
Earthquake in New Zeeland
by RODALCO
11/27/16 11:25 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by Tjia1981
11/27/16 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 15
HotLine1 10
Trumpy 8
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Who's Online
0 registered (), 101 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#30030 - 09/29/03 09:32 PM additional recepticle making sparks
racerfrank Offline

Loc: Olympia, WA USA
Hi all,
Im a maint guy at an Army installation. I do a lot of electrical work as part of my job. The main building I work in was built in 1945 and has had a couple of rewire jobs in the past. Overhead busses were installed and 225 amp panelboards replaced screw-in fuse panels...then it was all hooked in to the OLD stuff! This is typical- Got a call to look at a "sparking outlet" went and looked at it, found 2 duplex 115v recpticles in a square box. Decided to lock it all out. Had to trace back to a 100 amp CB on the overhead buss that i then locked out. Started taking covers off and looking at stuff. very loose neutral on recepticles, recepticles broken, traced wire back to screw-in fuse panel just passed through that and was attached to the line side of a 100 amp,3ph, fused safety switch. I removed the wire. On the load side of the same switch, I found 2 #8 wires going to a heater. removed them too. Same heater had a couple of #12 wires stuck into a male extension cord end and this was plugged in to start the fan. I cut it too. Where does a person draw the line when nothing is right? Is some of this old stuff "grandfathered" in? This is my first post, will have more! Thanks

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#30031 - 09/29/03 09:38 PM Re: additional recepticle making sparks
PCBelarge Offline

Loc: Dobbs Ferry, NY, USA
Frank

Sounds like you are going to be a full time demo guy.

Pierre

#30032 - 09/29/03 09:54 PM Re: additional recepticle making sparks
racerfrank Offline

Loc: Olympia, WA USA
It would be better to put a nice new service panel in where that old safety switch is- it's for the screw-in fuse panel,(all 30 amp fuses on 20 amp circuits). I could have breakers! Get everything grounded! I have some conduit with extension cord in it. The conduit is held up by tying the cord off to other conduit and with coat hangers. This all is in a dyno room where engines are tested-all kinds of flammable stuff around.
Frank

#30033 - 09/30/03 02:56 AM Re: additional recepticle making sparks
Pinemarten Offline

Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada
I would recommend they have a certified electrician look at their building. I assume your country has military electricians like Canada.
It may probably be less expensive, in the long run, to have the whole building replaced.

#30034 - 09/30/03 03:30 AM Re: additional recepticle making sparks
sparky Offline

many a sparky retians old code books to verify as best we can the validity of 'existing' older wiring.

for instance, if a home was wired in 1956 and incorporates ungrounded wiring, is it to code?

a change of useage (such as the introducion of flammables) should call for an update here

#30035 - 09/30/03 04:54 PM Re: additional recepticle making sparks
jdevlin Offline

Loc: welland ontario canada
 Quote:
Same heater had a couple of #12 wires stuck into a male extension cord end

I don't think you will find this one in any code book.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals