ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#29546 - 09/18/03 01:44 PM Flourescent Lighting
acetoday Offline
Loc: Manassas, Va
The lights I installed were the inexpensive one's (one t-8 tube) each. I informed the customer that it probably just needed to warm up, but that I would check it out.

Thanks to all who responded. I was more concerned that it may have been due to voltage drop.

Thanks again,
Bob

[This message has been edited by acetoday (edited 09-18-2003).]
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
#29547 - 09/18/03 02:44 PM Re: Flourescent Lighting
triple Offline
Loc: Wisconsin
Voltage drop in that #12 is not a problem for the couple of amps those lights are drawing. Are those the cheepo fluorescents with the cylindrical starters protruding through the housing? If so, I would guess that the starter is shot. Fluorescents with bad starters (or even bad ballasts) will often still light when everything is warm (fresh from a hot work van) but may not want to relight after a cool down period. However, if both lights are doing the same thing then it seems unlikely that both starters/ballasts came bad from the factory.
#29548 - 09/18/03 02:53 PM Re: Flourescent Lighting
dougwells Offline

Loc: kamloops BC Canada
Would the temperature of the area they are lighting be to cold ?
#29549 - 09/18/03 03:20 PM Re: Flourescent Lighting
straightedge Offline
Loc: Mesa, AZ
You also have to make sure you are using the right type of lamp for the fixture.

Check the ballast to see if it takes a T-12 (fat lamp) or a T-8 (thin lamp).

That makes a big difference. If you try to put a T-12 lamp in a light with a ballast made for T-8 lamps then the light will not work properly.

Tev

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (gfretwell), 40 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Scotto, Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals