by Tjia1981
Yesterday at 12:08 PM
Son of Sparky
by HotLine1
10/20/16 07:43 PM
Speaking of Plugmold ...
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:37 PM
Broken battery charger? Check for cobwebs!
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:30 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 7
ghost307 7
renosteinke 6
Potseal 4
Who's Online
1 registered (Tjia1981), 252 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#28926 - 09/04/03 11:59 AM Ballast training
Tom Offline

Loc: Shinnston, WV USA
Seeing the other post about AC/MC training reminded me of the site listed below. You'll pick up a few nuggets.
Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#28927 - 09/04/03 02:54 PM Re: Ballast training
Bjarney Offline

Loc: West-Southern Inner-Northeast ...
I spoke to a very knowledgeable support person at Advance Ballast about a little “pill-bottle” tester that I thought they gad offered for testing filament voltage at two-pin tombstone sockets. She said Advance prefers using true-RMS voltmeters, but that she knew that Universal {their competitor!} had offered some testers, and suggested calling them. describes a bi-pin-base tester for 30- and 40-watt-rapid start fixtures and a recessed-double-contact base version for 800/1500ma fluorescent fixtures. The HO model was called a “CT-8” but they have discontinued selling both in the last six months, according to an experienced phone-support guy there.

If I had to work on many rabid-start or HO ballasts, I would probably make up some test bases from discarded tubes with extension leads for a meter. {Acceptable filament voltages are listed in pdf troubleshooting guides.} Both companies’ support folks warned that the flashlight-lamp test procedure was OK for linear and electronic ballasts, but to be sure and use a true-RMS meter on high-frequency electronic ballasts for accurate results.

Both reps motioned that a good reading of filament voltage at both tombstones {or four for two-lamp ballasts} did not automatically mean that the fixture should work OK, but implied that if you didn't measure good filament voltages, there is no point in troubleshooting further.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 09-04-2003).]

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals