ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#28795 08/31/03 07:50 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
I thought it might be interesting to build up a picture of just how widespread the permit & inspection system has been in the past compared to today.

So, if your jurisdiction has inspections for new wiring and/or for modifications and extensions to existing systems, when were those requirements introduced?

If there has been a clear distinction between, say, permits required for electricians doing work vs. no inspections for a homeowner working on his own property, let's hear about that too.

#28796 08/31/03 08:09 AM
R
Ron Offline
In Rockland County, NY, permits and inspections are required for just about everything (even small branch circuit changes).
A homeowner must pass a written exam before he can do electrical work on his own home. The homeowner must then go through the same rough and final inspection as an electrician would.

Ron
#28797 08/31/03 08:10 AM
As far back as I can remember (I started in '70), permits have been required here for any new wiring on any new or existing structure, whether the work was performed by a contractor or a homeowner.
The only changes are that the number of jurisdictions have increased. (I believe we now have a gross-144 of them here in So CA.)

#28798 08/31/03 11:40 AM
R
Paul, Asheville is the same as Ron's area.

Like Electure I started in the 70's and all the areas of the South East I have worked in have had permiting and inspections.

I have even worked in areas (small comunities) that contracted other cities or counties inspectors due to the fact they didn't have their own.

This was agravating because all inspections were usually done on one day a week, if you were ready on Wednesday and the inspector came on Tuesdays the job halted for that period of time, unless someone paid for an after hour visit.

Roger

#28799 09/01/03 11:07 AM
Paul:
Here in NJ, permits are required for everything except minor repairs, as defined by the State Uniform Construction Code (5:23)

Homeowners of single family residences that they live in can do their own electrical work IF they are qualified, and obtain a permit.

"Qualification" is determined by the prerson doing the plan review/permit approval. We have no "test" for homeowners, and if they seem like they have an idea of what they propose to do, they get a permit. They are subject to inspections as are EC's.

John

John
#28800 09/01/03 02:15 PM
G
Can we expand this a bit.

For renters. Do you require something showing consent to do the work from the owner?

For contractors. Do you require something showing consent to do the work from the property owner?

#28801 09/02/03 04:12 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Good question George.

I can only remember working on one property where the people I dealt with were the renters rather than the owners. They told me that they'd been given the blessing of the owners to carry out the work they wanted, but I have to admit that I never checked up any further.

#28802 09/02/03 05:19 PM
Tom Offline
Here in the Mountain State, it is really confusing.

Many towns & cities require a permit. They don't necessarily do an electrical inspection, you may have to hire an inspector for that, but only for the service entrance.

The county will usually require a permit to be pulled if the value of the work exceeds $1000. Amazing how much gets done for $999 [Linked Image]. But, even if you pull a permit, you may not get an instpection, especially if it is a service for a mobile home.

In some unincorporated areas of the state that are served by another power company, no permit is needed and no inspection is required for service.

Confused? [Linked Image] I am.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#28803 09/02/03 06:01 PM
I
Here in MA at least since the early 80s and I am sure much longer than that, all electric work requires permits and inspections. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

To pull a permit you must have a license and liability insurance (I do not recall how much)

The owner of the property can sign a wavier for you if you do not have insurance, but I always wondered how that conversation would go.

"Mr Homeowner even though I make my living charging for my work I chose not to carry insurance, so can you sign this waiver that says you know I have no way to pay for your house if it burns down. Hey why are you running away?"

A homeowner can pull a permit for the single occupancy home they live in, and is subject to inspections. I have heard of inspectors trying to give on the spot tests to homeowners looking for permits, I believe they are making their own rules at this point though.

There is also yearly maintenance permits that can be applied for if you do a lot of work for the same location, but as the name implies it is for repairs, not new installations.

Permit fees vary widely, by the service amps, by the device, by a percentage of job cost etc. each area makes their own rules here.

One more thing is many small towns have part time inspectors, one or two days a week, as Roger mentioned, the GCs go nuts but it is not my problem.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#28804 09/03/03 05:01 AM
R
Hi, Here in Tennessee the home owner can pull his own permit and do is own work. Some county's have no inspection at all for anything.

Rob528

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard