Now Available!

Recent Posts
Correct rotation, wrong sequence
by Potseal
Today at 03:14 PM
Industrail Control Panel bonding per 409.108
by sparkyinak
Yesterday at 06:29 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
12/07/16 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
12/06/16 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 11
HotLine1 10
Potseal 9
sparkyinak 8
Texas_Ranger 7
Who's Online
0 registered (), 215 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#28584 - 08/23/03 04:26 PM Digital Camera Recommendations
iwire Offline

Loc: North Attleboro, MA USA
I had a nice digital camera that died, now I have to get another one.

I am not looking for the ultimate camera, I need a modest camera.

I will not be having the images printed on film, I will only be looking at the images on my PC screen.

It will be going on the job so a delicate and or expensive camera is not what I want.

Features I do want are zoom, standard batteries (AA etc.), USB.

Anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks, Bob

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#28585 - 08/23/03 04:46 PM Re: Digital Camera Recommendations
waymag Offline

Loc: dallas, texas, USA
http://hardwarecentral.dealtime.com/xPC-Samsung_Digimax_130

Go to that site and check out the Digimax. I got mine last year for 100 bucks at Circuit City. It has been a great camera that is easy to use and takes exellent pictures for the price.

#28586 - 08/24/03 11:15 PM Re: Digital Camera Recommendations
Trumpy Offline

Loc: SI,New Zealand
Bob,
Just as a note,
Don't go for the cheapest that you can find either.
Make sure that it is Digitally Signed for Windows.
I had a LOT of problems getting my Ben-Q camera to even load photo's properly to my PC.
Won't be buying that brand again!.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 08-25-2003).]

#28587 - 08/25/03 05:01 AM Re: Digital Camera Recommendations
electure Offline

Loc: Fullerton, CA USA
I've got an Olympus that I got for under $100.
Although it's only 1.3 megapixel,it has all the little bells and whistles (macro, zoom, etc.) I've been very happy with it, and it's proven to be pretty rugged (I keep it in a case).
One suggestion, regardless of which camera you get, is to get a battery charger with "no memory" batteries (Nimh). My batteries have to be changed about every 3 days under normal use, and I would have paid Eveready quadruple the initial cost of the darn camera by now had I not been able to recharge them.

#28588 - 08/25/03 08:56 AM Re: Digital Camera Recommendations
HotLine1 Offline

Loc: Brick, NJ USA
Bob:
For what it's worth, I bought a Sony. Under 350, takes great pics, USB, easy.

IT's prime purpose was for "work"; but, I started using it, and printing the shots, and now it's all I use.

John

#28589 - 08/25/03 10:39 AM Re: Digital Camera Recommendations
Bjarney Offline

Loc: West-Southern Inner-Northeast ...
A couple of very general comments—a few popular features worth getting are “ATA/compact-flash” memory cards, a USB cable and AA-battery operation. There will always be a tradeoff between truly useful features and its price tag. It may help to pattern your selection after what your associates have used [and also what they have most hated about theirs, too,]

A very useful feature is that trips to the photo processor are a thing of the past. It's best to not assume that money will be saved in the process. Care and feeding of a photo-quality printer will more that eat up what you'd spend in time and gasoline to the local drug-store photo processor. [Prices of color-inkjet cartridges and paper stock may take your breath away.]

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 08-25-2003).]

#28590 - 08/25/03 12:07 PM Re: Digital Camera Recommendations
Bill Addiss Offline

Loc: NY, USA
Bob,

I don't know much about brands or models, but would suggest that you look for between 2 and 3 MegaPixels at a minimum. I have a 1.0 which was a great bargain at the time, but wasn't really happy with the sharpness. And once you start cropping and enlarging pictures on the PC lack of resolution becomes very obvious.

Bill

#28591 - 08/25/03 02:55 PM Re: Digital Camera Recommendations
Fred Offline

Loc: Straughn, IN 47387
I bought a Sony Cyber-Shot 2.0 mega pixel camera last fall. It has rechargable Ni-MH batteries(AA) that last a long time. In a pinch you can use regular AA batteries. I have been very happy with it and paid less than $200.00 at Walmart. I recently say a similar Sony that was 3.0 mega pixel for $179.00. I'm not sure Sony makes my model anymore.

#28592 - 08/25/03 03:38 PM Re: Digital Camera Recommendations
NJwirenut Offline

Loc: Bergen County, NJ
I use a Nikon CoolPix 775. A nicely built unit, that can take a reasonable bit of physical abuse. 2.1 megapixel, compact flash, USB, and a relatively simple menu system for settings, etc. A decent autofocus system, and good quality lens.

Only downside is the battery life. The factory NiCd only lasts an hour or so if you aren't religious about turning it off between shots. The "power save" mode doesn't seem to save much power! It won't run anything as common as AA cells, but it can take a relatively common lithium camera battery (2CR5), which gives much better life than the NiCd, especially in cold weather.

[This message has been edited by NJwirenut (edited 08-25-2003).]

#28593 - 08/25/03 07:04 PM Re: Digital Camera Recommendations
Sandro Offline

Loc: Stoney Creek, ON, Canada
I've had excellent success with Sony digital cameras. I feel Sony, if not the best, is among the best when it comes to any sort of video media (digitial cameras, dvd players, televisions, movie cameras.) Steer clear of any of their home or car audio products, or computers.

My biggest beef with Sony is that they are priced higher than comparable models, but the quality is definitely there.

Bye for now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals